Top 6 Mega Pokemon Cards
Mega Pokemon in the TCG
In the Pokemon Trading Card Game, Mega Pokemon must be played as an evolution of Pokemon EX cards, and using one immediately ends your turn. Like normal EX cards, when one faints, your opponent gets to draw two Prize Cards (collecting six attains victory) instead of the usual one.
Despite these disadvantages, the costs are quickly offset by Mega Pokemons' gargantuan HP reservoirs and mighty attacks. Don't believe me? Let's take a look at the six best Mega Pokemon cards (as of this writing)!
6. Mega Tyranitar
Lumbering in with 240 HP, Mega Tyranitar is weak to Fighting and suffers from a huge Retreat Cost, but resists Psychic and has some cool abilities:
- You may attach up to two Pokemon Tool cards (rather than the usual one) to Tyranitar.
- Destroyer King (4 energy) Demands four energy but deals a base damage of 110, and an extra 60 for each damage counter on the defending Pokemon!
Destroyer King basically guarantees a Knock-Out in two blows (often only one), eradicating opponents before they can counter.
5. Mega Diancie
Mega Diancie harnesses less HP than other Mega Pokemon (190), but is easier to play than cards like Tyranitar because she doesn't need to evolve before accessing her Mega form. She also resists Dark and has a comparatively low Retreat Cost.
- Diamond Force (3 energy) Blasts fpr 100 damage. Also protects both Diancie and your Benched Pokemon from taking damage originating from Pokemon-EX on the next turn!
Diancie, despite being one herself, perfectly counters Mega Pokemon (and other EX creatures) with the shielding effect of her move.
4. Mega Absol
Another card that can Mega Evolve without prior evolution, Mega Absol arrives with 210 HP, a resistance to Psychic, and a comparably low Retreat Cost.
- Disaster Wing (2 energy) Strikes for 80 damage. Also discards the top card of your opponent's deck, netting an extra 80 damage if that card was a Trainer card.
An energy-efficient fighter who achieves victory through both damage and deck destruction, Mega Absol ends many an adversary.
3. Mega Mewtwo
Like Charizard, Mewtwo has two Mega forms; I heavily favor Mega Mewtwo Y. It warps in with 210 HP and no resistance, but a great move:
- Psychic Infinity (2 energy) Deals 10 damage plus 30 more for each Energy on both Mewtwo and the defending Pokemon! This lets you continue to strengthen Mewtwo by attaching extra energy, and makes your opponent think twice before attaching energy to use their best attacks.
Interestingly, Mewtwo's technique accepts energy of any element, not just Psychic, allowing the card to synchronize with just about any deck!
2. Mega Venusaur
Often overshadowed by fellow Kanto Pokemon Charizard and Blastoise, it's nice to see Venusaur earn some recognition in the TCG. No resistance, a hefty Retreat Cost, and an energy-expensive attack barely hold him back from today's top spot, but I love his move:
- Crisis Vine (4 energy) Slams foes for 120 damage, and both Paralyzes and Poisons them!
Even if the 120 damage (plus the Poison) don't vanquish the Defending Pokemon, they'll be helpless to act thanks to Paralyzation!
1. Mega Lucario
Mega Lucario enters with 220 HP, impressive for a Pokemon who didn't evolve before Mega evolution (you can play Lucario EX without evolving it from Riolu). He's got no resistance, but a low Retreat Cost and a lethal attack:
- Rising Fist (3 energy) Bludgeons foes for 140 damage! Adding insult to injury, it also discards an energy from them, making it problematic to even use their attacks.
Assaulting his enemies in multiple ways, Mega Lucario overcomes any opposition.
Which card do you prefer?
Hopefully today's list highlighted some frighteningly powerful Mega Pokemon These guys take time to play but demolish foes with their raw power, and I look forward to seeing more in the future.
For now, feel free to vote for your favorite, and I'll see you at our next Pokemon countdown!
Questions & Answers
- Helpful 2
Which mega Pokemon card has the most Hit Points (HP)?
As of this writing, I believe Mega Gyarados, Steelix, and Tyranitar all share the crown at 240.Helpful 2
Who is the strongest Mega Pokemon in the video games?
In terms of just their Base Stat Total, as of this writing it's a three-way tie between Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Mega Rayquaza.
© 2017 Jeremy Gill