Top 6 Green Commanders in Magic: The Gathering
When playing Commander in Magic, players pick one legendary creature (some Planeswalkers work as well) to serve as their Commander, a card available throughout the match. Additionally, your deck consists of a whopping 100 cards, only one copy of each card besides basic lands is allowed per deck, and you can only use the colors of your Commander in your deck.
I favor Commander because its one-per-deck condition diversifies matches, ensuring there's always something new with each draw. Today we'll examine six awesome mono-green Commanders for anyone looking to harness the power of forests!
view quiz statistics
6. Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
First, the perfect Commander for Elf decks, Dywnen. Here's her strengths:
- Low mana cost of 4
- Increases Power and Toughness of your other Elves by one
- Has Reach (so she can block fliers)
- Generates one health per each of your attacking Elves when she attacks
Dwynen herself isn't weak with 3 Power and 4 Toughness (3/4), so make good use of her to turn your Elves into mighty warriors.
5. Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Next, we one of my favorites, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger. He's expensive, costing eight mana, but look at his fearsome boons:
- 7 Power and 6 Toughness
- Has Trample
- Your lands tap for an extra mana each
- Your opponent's lands take an extra untap step to untap when they tap for mana
Voice of Hunger's strength and abilities resoundingly decimate foes, and he's powerful as a Commander, but some players may prefer him in their deck due to his high mana cost.
4. Nylea, God of the Hunt
Here's a well-rounded Creature for almost any green deck. Check out Nylea's powers:
- Great Power and Toughness for a four-mana creature (6 and 6!)
- Gives your other Creatures Trample
- Can spend four mana to give a creature +2/+2 until end of turn
Nylea's impressive, but remember that she doesn't count as a creature unless your devotion to green is at least 5 (you have at least 5 forests symbols among permanents you control). If you play her before reaching five, her abilities still function, but she won't be able to attack or block until she becomes a creature.
3. Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Azusa may be the weakest of today's legends in terms of battle prowess, but her abilities more than compensate:
- Costs only 3 mana
- Lets you play an extra two lands each turn
Her awesome effect lets you play two additional lands each turn for a total of three! This lets you play your game-changers before your opponents have ample time to defend. Azusa's effect is mighty; make sure your deck lets you draw several cards, as playing that many lands each turn will quickly deplete your hand.
2. Freyalise, Llanowar’s Fury
Freyalise is one of few Planeswalkers that can function as Commander; thankfully, she's awesome. She'll enter with three Loyalty Counters and (like all Planeswalkers) can use one of her abilities each turn:
- Add two Loyalty Counters: Create a 1/1 elf who can tap to provide one green mana
- Subtract two Loyalty Counters: Destroy target Artifact or Enchantment
- Subtract six Loyalty Counters: Draw a card for each green Creature you control
Few Planeswalkers who possesses three awesome abilities like Frey does. Her first adds two Loyalty while providing a creature who can either take a hit or soon add to your mana pool. Her second functions great for Artifact/Enchantment removal, and her third helps replenish your hand. A versatile card, Frey performs well in both mono and mixed green decks.
1. Omnath, Locus of Mana
We've reviewed some amazing titans thus far, but to me Omnath always takes the number one spot. He joins the fight as a puny 1/1, but examine his fearsome powers:
- Costs only three mana
- Gets +1/+1 for each green mana in your mana pool
- Prevents your green mana from depleting as steps and turns end
Horde your mana and watch as Omnath quickly overpowers your opponents while providing you a huge reservoir to pull from when necessary. Remember to include some sort of defense against from removals, and Omnath will swiftly guide you to victory.
Which commander do you prefer?
Today we examined many formidable Commanders, but I urge to explore the complete list here and see who you favor! I've always enjoyed reviewing and exploring cards just as much as playing, and with so many options you're bound to find the Commander for you.
Feel free to vote for your favorite of today's selection, and I'll see you at our next Magic countdown!