Yu-Gi-Oh: Top 6 Fusion Monsters
Fusion Monsters are powerful creatures that can be called from a player's "Extra Deck", a side deck that is always available during a duel. They wait in the Extra Deck until a player gathers the needed monsters (which vary, depending on the fusion) in their hand or their playing field, and then combines them together - which typically requires the use of the Spell Polymerization or a variant of it.
Play Polymerization, send the necessary "material" monsters to the Graveyard, and you can call out your formidable beast. Which fusions are the best, you ask? Read on to discover the top six Fusion juggernauts!
6. Frightfur Sheep
Attack: 2000, Defense: 2000
Material monsters: Edge Imp Chain + any Fluffal monster.
- Edge Imp must be used, but accepts any Fluffal as material
- Mediocre battle stats, but equally competent in Attack and Defense Position
- If destroyed, can be revived from the Graveyard with an extra 800 Attack
This makes Frightfur Sheep incredibly difficult to get rid of since neither battle nor effects can permanently destroy it. Definitely an amazing defensive effect; just remember this eerie sheep can still be Banished or returned to the Extra Deck, so don't drop your guard.
5. First of the Dragons
Attack: 2700, Defense: 2000
Material monsters: Any two Normal Monsters
One of the great things about First of the Dragons is that he'll take a wide variety of material monsters; simply grab a set of normal monsters (ones without monster effects) and you can summon him.
- Strong Attack and Defense
- Immune to battle destruction, except with normal monsters
- Immune to monster effect destruction
- Accepts any two normal monsters as material
This card's defenses negate several removal options for opponents. If they don't have access to a Spell or Trap to remove it, they're essentially sunk.
4. Bloom Diva the Melodious Choir
Attack: 1000, Defense: 2000
Material monsters: Any Melodious Maestra monster+ any Melodious monster
First, the bad traits about this card. She's got low Attack and her summon requires the usage of specific monster groups. However, she does allow you to choose any of the monsters in those sets. And check out her awesome effects:
- Immune to battle and effect destruction
- You won't receive battle damage from attacks involving her
- When battling a Special Summoned foe, destroys that monster and inflicts damage equal to the difference in Attack between the two
Definitely a great card simply by virtue of its immunity to all forms of destruction. Plus, because of the widespread use of Special Summons (Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum, etc.), Bloom Diva should be able to activate her effect often, devastating both your opponent's monsters and Life Points!
3. Evil HERO Dark Gaia
Attack: ?, Defense: 0
Material monsters: Any Fiend-type monster + any Rock-type monster
Get ready for some formidable HERO fusions, kicking things off with Evil HERO Dark Gaia:
- Accepts any Fiend and any Rock monster as material
- Attack becomes the combined Attack of the material mosnters
- Can shift opposing monsters to Attack Position upon attacking
Dark Gaia can easily exceed 4000 Attack with the right materials. And with his effect, this card guarantees battle damage through defeating Attack Position monsters, rapidly depleting your opponent's Life if they don't have a removal handy.
2. Elemental HERO Absolute Zero
Attack: 2500, Defense: 2000
Material monsters: Any HERO monster + any Water-attributed monster
Absolute Zero's lenient with his materials, accepting any HERO and Water-attribute creature (each monster in the game has a type and attribute; you can review them here). Take a look at this guy's amazing effects.
- Accepts any HERO and any Water-attributed monsters as material
- Gain 500 Attack for each Water-attributed monster on the field other than himself
- Destroys every monster your opponent controls upon leaving the field
Zero strengthens as players (including your opponent) summon Water creatures to the field, but his true ability is to destroy all opposing monster when he's removed from the field. This ability works great thanks to its versatility; it doesn't matter if Zero is destroyed, returned to the Extra Deck, or Banished, the effect will activate simply upon leaving.
1. Masked HERO Divine Wind
Attack: 2700, Defense: 1900
Material Monsters: Any Wind-element HERO monster
Masked HERO Divine Wind offers several impressive abilities:
- Doesn't need a normal Fusion Spell; instead requires a Wind-attributed HERO monster and the Spell Mask Change
- Strong Attack
- Immune to battle destruction
- Opponent can only attack with one monster each Battle Phase
- Lets you draw a card whenever Divine Wind destroys a monster in battle
With all these effects, Divine Wind is easy to summon, powerful, restricts your opponent, and allows you to rapidly gain card advantage, making him a truly intimidating Fusion card.
Which Fusion monster do you prefer?
Hopefully you've enjoyed examining some powerful Fusion Monsters! Remember, Polymerization is the bread-and-butter of most fusions, but many other cards exist to aid your fusion endeavors (Fusion Gate, Future Fusion, etc.).
Experiment, see what works for you, and I'll see you at our next card countdown!
Update: As time goes on, several powerful new Fusions have been added. Keep an eye out for impressive beasts like Starving Venom Fusion Dragon.