I have many interests and an inability to make up my mind about which one to focus on. That's how I came up with my name: ControlledChaos1.
Superhero Powers Aren't Just for the Good Guys (Bad Guys and Animals Have Them Too)
A list of superpowers is a handy thing to have around when trying to create some wonderfully memorable heroes or villains. Everyone loves the feeling they get when they realize a hero or villain has some sort of supernatural connection that can't fully be explained at his or her disposal. Depending on how you reveal the power, it can blow people away or give them goosebumps of anticipation.
A character that has cool powers (even enhanced natural abilities) will not only add levels of complexity to your story but will also (if well thought out) make your audience eager to see your creation use these powers. I hope that all you writers, movie makers, and artists who've given this article a chance find it useful in your creations. Thanks for taking a look.
A List of Superpowers That Need Very Little (If Any) Explanation
Unnatural Good Luck
Bringing Dead Back to Life
Speaking to the Dead
Resistance to Fire
Human Lie Detection
Slowing Down Time
Talking to the Dead
Powered Suits (technology)
Water Control (Hydrokinesis)
Not Everyone Has Powers
There are plenty of heroes and villains out there that while they have no powers, they do have some kind of edge, whether it be financially, technologically or through information and training others may not have. While an argument can be made that those aren't superpowers, there can be no denying that such advantages all but guarantee a higher percentage of success in their endeavors. Never rule out humans in peak physical condition with plenty of resources and the willpower to act.
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
- Invisibility: Always keep in mind that turning invisible at will often will not include your clothes being invisible. If your character has permanent invisibility, then they really don't need clothes at all unless they want to be seen.
- Phasing: The ability to pass through solid objects can be one of the most useful superpowers a person can have. Let's just hope that they know how to avoid reconstituting themselves inside the object they're passing through.
- Control Over Animals: I've often wondered ,since humans are animals as well, if beings that have this power are only strong enough in its usage to manipulate weaker minds (such as those in most animals), and if they would be successful in imposing their will on animals with brain functions on par with human beings.
- Shape Shifting: The ability to change one's physical appearance. Some can change into anything, even inanimate objects of the smallest size, while others can only shapeshift (or copy) things or people they've actually seen.
- Electrocution: What if your whole body could generate an electrical charge that would shock everyone in a 10 foot radius like Blanka from Street Fighter 2. The only drawback is that everyone in that radius would be shocked... even innocents.
What If Your Super Power Was Not That Super?
Using Powers Should Be as Simple as Using Your Five Senses
- Super Strength: One of the most popular powers used by superheroes and super villains alike. The amount of strength each character has can come in a very wide range of measurement.
- Mind Control: My biggest complaint is that this power only seems to be used by the bad guys. Maybe you have to be willing to use this power to gain mastery over it, and "heroes" just aren't that interested in manipulating people?
- Fire Control: The psychic ability to generate, absorb and control fire is called pyrokinesis. It's widely used in comics, but if you want to be a little different only give your character a certain aspect of this gift. For example, maybe they can't generate fire, but can control fire or only absorb the extreme heat from a fire and transfer it to another in the form of a "hot punch."
- Giving Luck (Good or Bad): This is a power that would probably not show up on a usual basis. I mean, you do have the power, but that doesn't mean people you use it on will never have any bad luck or always have good luck. The first time people don't get the outcome they think they deserve, you will get funny looks.
- Wind Control: An underrated power that (in my opinion) needs to be on every superpowers list. Having the ability to control which way (and how hard) the wind blows can be used by heroes or villains alike to either save or destroy lives. Strong gusts can turn the tide in a fight, while gentle ones at the right moment can cause "accidental" deaths.
Cool Powers Make Cool Heroes... Or Villains
It's Not About the Power You Have, It's How You Use Your Power That Counts
- Force Fields: Invisible energy fields that can be formed to protect something or someone. In some cases, the larger the field, the weaker it will be.
- Molecular Combustion: Speeding up the molecules found in every object (no matter how big or small) to blow that object into smithereens.
- Astral Projection: Leaving one's body in spirit form is this power's bread and butter. The plus is that travel becomes very easy as it is all about thinking about the destination. Perfect for spying as most people won't be able to see you in spirit form.
- Time Travel: This is the ability to travel to the past or future from the present. Keep in mind that your story can get really confusing to the audience whenever the power of traveling through time makes an appearance. Plan carefully.
- Pheromones: The ability to secrete chemicals from the skin that directly affects or influences the people surrounding you is a power where less is definitely more. If done just enough to influence other without others suspecting, it can be used for all kinds of profitable ventures.
The List of Superpowers Get a Little Longer
- Extraordinary or Enhanced Intelligence: Not always thought of as a superpower, but it should be. It's much rarer when every brain function is intertwined into one cohesive force; knowing things others don't only add to that intellect.
- X-Ray Vision: Who wouldn't want a power that lets you see through any object you want. This is a useful power that many heroes or villains would love to have.
- Possessing Others: Taking control over another person's body gives the manipulator a much stronger hold. The person being used is much less likely to be able to resist than with, say, mind control.
- Biokinesis: The power to change or reprogram cells and DNA of the body with your mind. People who have this power can alter their appearance in subtle ways, such as hair, eye, and skin color.
- Precognition: Seeing the future is a lot more complicated than most movies or stories make it out to be. The future is always in flux and one or two actions taken or not taken can change it in a big way, and they don't even have to be significant actions. A missed phone call, running one minute late or early, etc. can change everything. This is one superpower that can be highly hit or miss.
How About a Few Funny Super Powers?
- Farts: The ability to release noxious gases that can make your eyes water is a useful power when needing to evacuate a room. There are only a few choices in the human body where such things can escape from. The butt seems most natural.
- Multiple Eyes: I'm not talking having 3 eyes; I'm talking about having 4 or more eyes all over your head. If they all blink and look in unison, wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Also, the more eyes you have the more risk a gnat flies into one of them causing you to voluntarily wince in pain.
- Eating Anything: Having a cast iron stomach is pretty much a useless power that some people do indeed have. I wonder what kind of nutritional need the body would get out of consuming batteries, and passing those batteries would be no picnic (especially D batteries).
- Detachment of Limbs: If you can detach your hand and still have control over it, this power could be quite "handy" to have. Being able to do it without there being a bloody mess would be a definite plus.
- Fireworks: Imagine being able to generate sparks and pops to distract your opponent? This power would be very useful in a fight, but especially useful when sneaking around to get guards to go off in a different direction. Jubilee from the X-Men has this superpower.
- Disease Control: The ability to worsen or improve an existing disease someone has, but unable to cure it. Part of this superpower would also have to be the ability to detect diseases in people.
Hair Manipulation (An Unusual Superpower For Sure)
© 2019 Don
What Powers Are You a Fan of?
Enternity on March 20, 2020:
Empthy is a good superpower its the abilty to feel other people emothins and know what they are feeling and if highly skilled a empath can read minds includeing animals minds and emothins
please dont make me put meh name here on March 07, 2020:
I don't think that would make the viewers like your hero. They'd think it'd be confusing. How about you can absorb powers, one at a time, sometimes two or three? Three would be the limit. No offense, just suggesting.
me on January 27, 2020:
omg i luv My Hero!
Anime Boi on January 08, 2020:
Has anyone ever heard of My Hero Academia?? Best anime ever with a lot of super powers. My power would be black fire (probably not a thing but whatever) ;P #KiriBaku 4Ever
Geoffrey Porter on November 13, 2019:
I want all super powers of every hero and villan but use the villans powers for good
Spencer on November 12, 2019:
Power Cosmic of Silver Surfer or the powers of Blue Marvel negative energy
Don (author) from Tennessee on November 10, 2019:
Can you imagine having all of the superpowers in this list plus more. I actually believe it would be superpower overload, and your character wouldn't know which power to use and wouldn't be proficient at using them. Having a power is one thing, but having control over it is the real edge.
Geoffrey Jackson Porter on November 08, 2019:
all the powers
Ryan C. on September 15, 2019:
Im 10. and i already have an entire frachise,and ome of my character already has hair manipulation
Pilarito Baron from Zamboanga City, Philippines on March 12, 2019:
Lol that's funny
Ami Sou on March 08, 2019:
LOL super funny