Sckylar is a freelance writer with a special interest in writing material that helps others expand their minds and achieve their goals.
In honor of Harry Potter’s 34th birthday, I put together the 34 most influential quotes from the Harry Potter book series, in my opinion. They are in no particular order.
Dumbledore's Best Quotes
It is arguably stated that Dumbledore, headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, is the greatest wizard of our time, and though he is (sadly) a fictional character, he is still one of the wisest men ever invented. Dumbledore has voiced a myriad of inspirational advice, but I only included what I thought were the most inspirational.
- “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” –The Chamber of Secrets
- “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” –The Goblet of Fire
- “The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.” –The Prisoner of Azkaban
- “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” –The Sorcerer’s Stone
- “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” –The Sorcerer’s Stone
- “There are all kinds of courage,” said Dumbledore, smiling. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” –The Sorcerer’s Stone
- “People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” –The Half-Blood Prince
- “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” –The Goblet of Fire
- “Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.” –The Goblet of Fire
- “We cannot choose our fate, but we can choose others. Be careful in knowing that.” –The Order of the Phoenix
- “It is important,” Dumbledore said, “to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.” –The Half-Blood Prince
- “The truth.” Dumbledore sighed. “It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.” –The Sorcerer’s Stone
- “Curiosity is not a sin…but we should exercise caution with our curiosity.” –The Goblet of Fire
- “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” –The Goblet of Fire
- “Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.” –The Goblet of Fire
- “Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels, but old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.” –The Order of the Phoenix
- “You think the dead we loved truly ever leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly in times of great trouble?” –The Prisoner of Azkaban
- “Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living, and above all those who live without love.” –The Deathly Hallows
- “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” –The Half-Blood Prince
- “Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” –The Half-Blood Prince
- “Ah, music,” he said wiping his eyes. “A magic beyond all we do here.” –The Sorcerer’s Stone
- “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?” –The Deathly Hallows
- “Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both influencing injury, and remedying it.” –The Deathly Hallows
- BONUS: "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light." –The Prisoner of Azkaban (from the screenplay, by Steven Kloves)
- “I am what I am an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth bothern’ with.’” –The Goblet of Fire
- "No good sittin' worryin' abou' it. What's comin' will come, an' we'll meet it when it does." –The Goblet of Fire
- “You do realize that your sheets are changed, your fires lit, your classrooms cleaned, and your food cooked by a group of magical creatures who are unpaid and enslaved?” —The Goblet of Fire
- "Excuse me, I don't like people just because they're handsome!" --The Goblet of Fire
Great Quotes from the Rest of the Gang
- “What you fear most of all is– fear. Very wise.” –Lupin, The Prisoner of Azkaban
- “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” –Sirius Black, The Goblet of Fire
- “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” –Luna Lovegood, The Order of the Phoenix
- “Thoughts could leave deeper scars than almost anything else.” –Ron quoting Madam Pomfrey, The Order of the Phoenix
- “We are all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.” –Kingsley Shacklebolt, The Deathly Hallows
- “The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters. We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” –The Order of the Phoenix
- "Mischief Managed." -- The Prisoner of Azkaban
Questions & Answers
Question: Is there a quote about hope in harry potter?
Answer: Absolutely. My favorite is "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Question: When Harry sees Dumbledore in the 7th book by the Hogwarts Express, who is the other person under the chair/table and what does Dumbledore mean by the train takes you "on"?
Answer: The infant-like creature was the piece of Voldemort's soul that was inside Harry. By "On" Dumbledore meant that the train would take Harry to the afterlife - whatever that might be.
Question: What is Harry Potter's full name?
Answer: Harry James Potter.
© 2014 Sckylar Gibby-Brown
Katie on June 10, 2018:
Cute! Dumbledore's death is sad and unexpected. He is my favorite! You forgot one of my favorites though, by Dumbledore, "We must all face the Choice between what is Right and what is Easy." Thank you! I'm a big fan of Harry Potter books! The movies are okay.
Lisa on May 22, 2018:
You forgot "Don't let the muggles get you down." Said by Ron in a letter to Harry in "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".
***** on January 29, 2018:
I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!! THANK YOU!!!
********** on January 17, 2018:
Charles Bradburry on October 30, 2017:
"persure" that flighty temptress adventure? That would be "pursue". Beautiful picture though.
Also to say it's "arguably stated" that Dumbledore is the best wizard implies that people argue about whether or not it's "stated". As opposed to him being arguably the best wizard.
Just my two cents.
Anusha Jain from Delhi, India on October 27, 2017:
Great quotes. I am a big fan of the stories myself. Let's say just the books and the earlier movies. Somehow, the later movies didn't do justice to the stories. I plan to re-read sometime soon. The books seem to be full of endless quotes which, with all their deep wisdom, are quite applicable in the real life.
johnstockthon Tabilid on August 29, 2017:
I hope there's such continuation for this movie and book.
Canterbury, CT on July 26, 2017:
My favorite quote is not on here. "Harry- yer a wizard." -Rubeus Hagrid
Pragya Singh on June 01, 2017:
Me:I love Harry Potter.
People: After all these time?
Thankyou for sharing.....:)
Greensleeves Hubs from Essex, UK on May 02, 2017:
Disappointing to see this Sckylar - but only because I was thinking of writing a similar article myself! Now I'll have to think of something different to write about :)
I have never read the books, but when watching the films, I have been very struck by the wisdom and 'quotability' of some of the advice given by characters - notably Dumbledore. Much of this will be regarded as trivial, because the stories are fantasy and Dumbledore - as you say - is fictional. But J.K Rowling isn't fictional, and if all these sayings are her own original ideas, then she must be regarded as the genius behind some of the most inspirational quotes ever written, even if only on the strength of Dumbledore alone.
Of the other characters you mention, I particularly like the Sirius Black quote, and the Madam Pomfrey comment.
j on April 26, 2017:
"fear of the name increases fear of the thing its self." was said by Hermione
Alexandra on April 18, 2017:
I love Harry Potter!!
Peyton Gram on April 06, 2017:
I LUV this, thank you so much for making this Sckylar! Very inspiring, truly loved stories never really leave us.
Peg Cole from North Dallas, Texas on April 06, 2017:
"Well done, Slitherin. Well done." I love these quotes and many others from all the characters. J.K. Rowling is a fabulous author with a depth of understanding about human nature.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on April 03, 2017:
It was interesting reading quotes from the Harry Potter series. I did enjoy watching them films.
Josie on March 21, 2017:
You forgot Harry Potters quotes for example I don't go looking for trouble,trouble usually find me.
Toni John on March 06, 2017:
What lovely quotes.
Hoang on February 24, 2017:
That's brilliant. Love it
Harry Potter Fan on December 27, 2016:
These are brilliant! This includes every single amazing quote, especially Dumbledore!
Bethany Smith on December 25, 2016:
I read each quote in their own voice
leia on December 20, 2016:
LOVE HARRY POTTER SOOOOOOOO MUCH
A.C. on November 29, 2016:
Great quotes! Probably being nit-picky but the very first picture, "And now Harry, let us step out into the night....", the word "pursue" is spelled wrong.
Brodeen on November 10, 2016:
My favorite quote is the Bonus. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
Peaches on October 25, 2016:
and Fred and George Weasley
Peaches on October 25, 2016:
Needs more Hermione quotes and Dranco and Ron quotes
markus on August 23, 2016:
damn this is snazzy! :D
Paige on August 15, 2016:
"We could've been killed - or worse, expelled."
lapis lazuli on August 14, 2016:
I love HP its my fav seroies my fav book is the 2nd
Alex potter on July 31, 2016:
@rose that isn't in at all
Sckylar Gibby-Brown (author) from Phoenix, AZ on July 21, 2016:
In the movie Hermione said the quote. Dumbledore said this line in the books, which is what this article is quoting.
hpfan on July 04, 2016:
I liked the collection, but the quote "fear of the name..." was actually Hermione not Dumbledore
L.B. on June 07, 2016:
Time was never kind enough to allow me to stop and read all the Harry Potter wisdom put out there these past couple of decades,but I am proud to say that buying each Potter publication along the way for my Daughters turned out to be a wise investment not to mention a pretty great part time babysitter.
Shaloo Walia from India on January 06, 2016:
lovely quotes. Thanks for sharing!
Izzy on December 11, 2015:
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️I love this post! So thankful .please make more. I was born on same day as Daniel Radcliffe . Yay me
Rose on March 16, 2015:
I like the article, but the "We've all got both dark and light inside us..." quote was from Sirius Black, not Dumbledore.
Emily Smith on March 15, 2015:
Sckylar Gibby-Brown (author) from Phoenix, AZ on October 02, 2014:
Glad you liked it Dustin :)
Dustin Phillips from Waynesburg, KY on October 02, 2014:
I totally geeked out on these! Love Harry Potter.
sasanka7 from Calcutta, India on July 31, 2014:
Nice collection. Waiting for seeing more.
Amy Naylor from England on July 31, 2014:
Great hub! I read Hagrid's quote in his voice, haha. Thanks for sharing.