Harry Potter, anyone? I loved the books and enjoyed the movies. Learn more here.
Harry Potter's Most Famous Quotes
Harry James Potter is an orphan who only finds out that he is, in fact, a wizard on his 11th birthday. He has a scar of a lightning bolt on his forehead that was caused by his arch-enemy, Lord Voldemort. When he grew up, he battled Lord Voldemort and became a hero in the wizarding world—as well as a hero to us in the muggle world.
Review the best and most famous quotes from this book series as spoken by Harry Potter himself (and as written by J.K. Rowling). Enjoy quotations from all seven of the books. We've organized these quotes for you in the order of the books.
Harry's Iconic Lines From Each Book
- Sorcerer's Stone or Philosopher's Stone
- Chamber of Secrets
- Prisoner of Azkaban
- Goblet of Fire
- Order of the Phoenix
- Half-Blood Prince
- Deathly Hallows
Book 1 Quotes
- "Everyone thinks I'm special . . . All those people in the Leaky Cauldron, Professor Quirrell, Mr. Ollivander . . . But I don't know anything about magic at all."
- "You're worth twelve of Malfoy. The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn't it? And where's Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin."
- "The poor toilet's never had anything as horrible as your head down it—it might be sick." [spoken to Dudley]
Book 2 Quotes
- "You've forgotten the magic word."
- "I don't want to be rude or anything, but—this isn't a great time for me to have a house elf in my bedroom."
- "And I thought I had it bad staying here for another four weeks," he said. "This makes the Dursleys sound almost human. Can't anyone help you? Can't I?"
- "Proud?" said Harry. "Are you crazy? All those times I could have died and didn't manage it? They'll be furious . . . "
Book 3 Quotes
- "I'm not buying anything Malfoy thinks is good."
- "What—live with you? Leave the Dursleys? . . . Of course I want to leave the Dursleys! Have you got a house? When can I move in?" [spoken to Sirius]
- "I knew I could do it this time, because I'd already done it. Does that make sense?"
- "Why would I go looking for someone who wants to kill me?"
- "I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."
- "Pity you can't attach an extra arm to yours, Malfoy," said Harry. "Then it could catch the Snitch for you." [about Malfoy's broom]
Book 4 Quotes
- "Yeah, you can have a word. Goodbye." [spoken to Rita Skeeter]
- "I don't know who Maxime thinks she's kidding. If Hagrid's half-giant, she definitely is. Big bones . . . the only things that's got bigger bones than her is a dinosaur."
- "We could all do with a few laughs. I've got a feeling we're going to need them more than usual before long."
- "Why do they have to move in packs? How're you supposed to get one on their own to ask them?"
- "My eyes aren't glistening with the ghosts of my past!"
Book 5 Quotes
- "Not as stupid as you look, are you, Dud? But I s'pose, if you were, you wouldn't be able to walk and talk at the same time."
- "Wow, I wonder what it'd be like to have a difficult life?"
- "Quirrell was a great teacher, there was just that minor drawback of him having Lord Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head."
- "Did he say you look like a pig that's been taught to walk on its hind legs? 'Cause that's not cheek, Dud, that's true."
- "This is night, Diddykins. That's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."
- "Hermione, you're good on feelings and stuff, but you just don't understand about Quidditch."
- "You're the one who is weak. You will never know love or friendship. And I feel sorry for you."
- "What d'you mean I'm not brave in bed?"
- "His priority did not seem to be to teach them what he knew, but rather to impress upon them that nothing, not even . . . knowledge, was foolproof."
- "So that's it, is it? Stay there? That's all anyone could tell me after I got attacked by those dementors too! Just stay put while the grown-ups sort it out, Harry! We won't bother telling you anything, though, because your tiny little brain might not be able to cope with it!"
Book 6 Quotes
- "Does anyone really know what You-Know-Who would or wouldn't do?"
- "One of the only honest things you've said to me. You don't care whether I live or die, but you do care that I help you convince everyone you're winning the war against Voldemort."
- "He will only be gone from the school when none here are loyal to him."
- "There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor." [spoken to Severus Snape]
- "Be brave, Professor. Be brave like my mother . . . Otherwise, you disgrace her. Otherwise, she died for nothing. Otherwise, the bowl will remain empty . . . forever."
Book 7 Quotes
- "Dudley, for the first time in your life, you're talking sense."
- "I won't blast people out of my way just because they're there. That's Voldemort's job."
- "Severus Snape wasn't yours. Snape was Dumbledore's, Dumbledore's from the moment you started hunting down my mother. And you never realised it, because of the thing you can't understand. You never saw Snape cast a Patronus, did you, Riddle?"
- "Are you out of your mind?" demanded Harry. "A plot to get this house? Are you actually as stupid as you look?"
- "Albus Severus, you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."
- "Yeah," said Harry, suddenly irritated, "and she's seeing someone. Jealous type. Big bloke. You wouldn't want to cross him." [about Ginny]
© 2011 Treasures By Brenda
What is your favorite Harry Potter quote?
Susan Deppner from Arkansas USA on November 19, 2011:
Love the layout of this page! What a fun resource for a true Harry Potter fan.
Marie on August 11, 2011:
@flipflop4161: Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my Harry Potter quotes. I'm busy reading my way through the series yet again to see if I've missed any good quotations!
flipflop4161 on July 27, 2011:
@Craftymarie: i cant wait either!
flipflop4161 on July 27, 2011:
Ill see you at platform 9 3/4 as well. but i would just like to thank you. the series is awesome and im interested in reading the other quotes as well.
Marie on June 23, 2011:
@anonymous: Thank you very much for stopping by. Yes I love lots of fantasy books and movies including Harry Potter. Looking forward to the last movie in July!
anonymous on June 22, 2011:
Seems you've done comprehensive research on Harry Potter. I really liked this collection of quotes.