How to Grow Crystals at Home
Crystals are impressive with their perfectly aligned facets and angles that make them sparkle. They are found everywhere. We walk on crystals. We build from crystals. We work with crystals in factories. We grow crystals in laboratories. We eat crystals and heal with them.
Crystallization is the process by which a solid forms, where the atoms or molecules are highly organized into a structure known as a crystal.
There are several ways to grow a crystal, but in this article we will teach the most popular. The process itself isn't complex, but requires patience and precision.
Magic is not just for the entertainment, but to inspire people to be creative enough with their lives.— Amit Kalantri
Potassium Aluminum Sulfate
You can buy sulfates at any pharmacy.
Potassium Chromium Sulfate
For getting a magic violet color
Preferably to take a glass
You will catch your luck...a goldfish.
1. First, you should make a mixture of different sulfates. Take 100 grams of potassium aluminium sulfate and 12 grams of potassium chromium sulfate and put in a glass.
2. Then pour 400 ml of hot water into the glass and stir the mixture until it's completely dissolved.
3. Leave the solution for 24 hours. Crystals should fall to the bottom of the mixture.
4. Transfer the solution from one glass to the other. At the bottom of the glass you will see beautiful crystal formations.
5. Now put the mass on a plate and choose the biggest one of the crystals. It will serve as a seed, we will use it for growing a large crystal.
6. The solution left should be filtered and free from remaining crystal dust.
7. Attach a seed to a fishing line, tie it to a stick, and place into a glass with solution. Be sure a seed is not touching the bottom of the glass.
8. Now, just be patient and wait...until our crystal grows up.
9. Water will gradually evaporate, extra sulfates will form our crystal hanging from a line.
10. Crystal will begin forming the right geometric shape, a crystal matrix of the chemical. For sulfates it is octahedral.
During growth you will see new crystal formations at the bottom of the glass and on a line, you have to remove these odd crystals. Although, you can save it for the next time (it will be used as a solution).
While growing it's necessary to avoid fluctuations in temperature and solution contamination.
Two months after you can get a crystal similar to that on the picture. Take your finished crystal out of water, wipe it with a paper towel and cover with colorless varnish.
Crystals are living beings at the beginning of creation.— Nicola Tesla
Sodium Chloride (Salt)
1. Put some water in a pot and begin to boil without allowing it to come to a full boil. Add salt in a pot in small amounts stirring constantly. You should not add following salt portion until preceding is completely dissolved. Concentration of the solution should be so strong that grains of salt can't dissolve anymore.
2. Now, leave the solution for a day. The principle of growing is the same as in the previous way.
You may notice that a crystal grows faster with a rapid cooling of salt solution. On this condition a salt crystal will form its irregular geometric shape. In contrast, crystals forming with gradual reduction of temperature will take more time for growing, but you'll be surprised by their perfection. Be careful, don't shake the glass with solution until the process is finished.
Sometimes you may notice that still no sign of growing crystal, even a week after, but actually our crystal is growing. Suddenly a crystall will come out.
When you are making magic before your eyes it stimulates your imagination and gives you new opportunities to experiment with world around. Using this way you can create different crystal figures to make your dreams a reality. You have to prepare a framework of wire thread wrapped, dip it into solution, take out quickly and leave a figure to dry at room temperature. Salt solution will be absorbed by thread and when drying you will notice the smallest crystalic formations on its surface.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Rada4Health