Morgan has read the Harry Potter series a countless number of times and loves creating tough trivia questions.
Here are 18 questions to test your Harry Potter knowledge on names, places, and events that occur in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that you’ll be asked something as easy as the spell to make a Patronus; think more along the lines of what spell did Lupin use to send gum down Peeves's nostril (Waddiwasi). Be advised that these questions are specific to this book and ignore information that is presented in other Harry Potter novels.
1) How many galleons did Mr. Weasley win in the Daily Prophet Galleon Draw?
2) How much did Harry pay for his trip on the Knight Bus?
A) 11 Sickles
B) 13 Sickles
C) 15 Sickles
D) 17 Sickles
3) How long is Ron’s new wand?
A) Nine inches
B) Ten and a half inches
C) Eleven and a half inches
D) Fourteen inches
4) What is Madam Pomfrey’s first name?
5) What does Harry see when he looks into Ron's teacup in Divination?
B) Bowler hat
6) What did the boggart turn into when it faced Parvati?
C) Bloody eyeball
7) Which one of these is not a password used for Gryffindor Tower?
A) Fortuna Major
C) Survy Cur
8) Which creature did students not study in Defense Against the Dark Arts?
B) Red Caps
D) None of the above (Students studied all of these creatures).
9) On the evening the Fat Lady fled students guessed that Black entered the castle through all but which of these methods?
A) He apparated into the castle
B) He used a secret passageway
C) He used a disguise
D) He flew in
10) What does Professor McGonagall order at the Three Broomsticks?
A) Small gillywater
B) Mulled mead
C) Cherry syrup and soda with ice and umbrella
D) Red currant rum
11) What was printed on the sweater that Harry received from Mrs. Weasley for Christmas?
A) Gryffindor lion
B) The letter “H”
C) Hogwarts coat of arms
D) Golden Snitch
12) Harry’s Firebolt reminds Madam Hooch of which type of broom she used to fly?
B) Shooting Star
C) Silver Arrow
13) What is Mr. Prongs’ message to Snape when Snape attempts to use the Marauder's Map?
A) Calls Professor Snape an ugly git
B) Asks that Snape keep his nose out of other people’s business
C) Notes his astonishment that a person like Snape became a professor
D) Advises Professor Snape to wash his hair
14) What potion did Harry have to make for his Potions final?
A) Strengthening Solution
B) Confusing Concoction
C) Swelling Solution
D) Sleeping Draught
15) In what school year did James, Sirius, and Peter become animagi?
16) What Spell does Lupin use to bandage up Ron’s leg?
D) He didn't verbalize his spell
17) How many people are seen walking down to Hagrid’s cabin after Harry and Hermione use the Time-Turner?
18) Where is Sirius locked up when Harry and Hermione go to rescue him?
A) McGonagall's office
B) Flitwick's office
C) North Tower
D) Astronomy Tower
- D—700. In Chapter 1 (Owl Post) Ron’s letter claims that his father won 700 galleons in the drawing.
- B—13 Sickles. In Chapter 3 (The Knight Bus) Stan Shunpike says that it will cost Harry 11 Sickles for a trip to London, 13 with the addition of hot chocolate and 15 for a hot water bottle and toothbrush. Although Harry doesn't say which choice he selects, Stan eventually spills Harry's hot chocolate which indicates that Harry chose the second option.
- D—Fourteen inches. In Chapter Four (The Leaky Cauldron) Ron shows Harry his new wand that is fourteen inches, made of willow and contains a unicorn hair.
- D—Poppy. In Chapter 5 (The dementor) Professor McGonagall calls Madam Pomfrey Poppy.
- A—Cross. In Chapter 6 (Talons and Tea Leaves) Harry sees a cross and a sun in Ron's cup and predicts that Ron will suffer but be very happy. Ron sees some sort of animal and a blob that could be a bowler hat or an acorn in Harry's cup.
- D—Mummy. In Chapter 7 (The Boggart in the Wardrobe) the boggart becomes a mummy for Parvati, a banshee for Seamus and a severed hand for Dean.
- D—Balderdash. In Chapter 5 (The Dementor) Percy announces that the new password is Fortuna Major, in Chapter 11 (The Firebolt) Ron uses scurvy cur and in Chapter 12 (The Patronus) Harry uses oddsbodikins.
- D—None of the above. In Chapter 8 (Flight of the Fat Lady) it is stated that the class learns about Red Caps and kappas. Professor Lupin brings hinkypunk into class in Chapter 10 (The Marauder's Map).
- B—He used a secret passageway. In Chapter 9 (Grim Defeat) students suggests that Black could have entered the castle through apparition, a disguise or flight.
- B—Small gillywater. In Chapter 10 (The Marauder's Map) McGonagall orders a small gillywater, Hargrid orders four pints mulled mead, Flitwick orders a cherry syrup and soda with ice and umbrella and Fudge orders a red currant rum.
- A—Gryffindor lion. In Chapter 11 (The Firebolt) Harry receives a scarlet sweater with the Gryffindor lion, twelve mince pies, Christmas cake and nut brittle from Mrs. Weasley.
- C—Silver Arrow. In Chapter 13 (Gryffindor Versus Ravenclaw) Madam Hooch tells Harry that the Firebolt reminds her of the discontinued Silver Arrow line of broomsticks.
- A—Calls Professor Snape an ugly git. In Chapter 14 (Snape's Grudge) Moony tells Snape to keep out of other people's business, Prongs agrees and calls Snape a git, Padfoot notes his surprise and Wormtail advises him to wash his hair.
- B—Confusing Concoction. In Chapter 16 (Professor Trelawney's Prediction) Harry struggles to thicken his Confusing Concoction for the Potions exam.
- B—5th. In Chapter 18 (Moony Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs) Lupin reveals that his friends succeeded in becoming animagi in their 5th year at Hogwarts.
- A—Ferula. In Chapter 19 (The Servant of Lord Voldemort) Lupin casts ferula to bandage Ron's leg.
- B—4. In Chapter 21 (Hermione's Secret) Dumbledore, Fudge, Macnair, and an old Committee member are seen walking down to Hagrid's cabin in preparation for Buckbeak's execution.
- B—Flitwick's office. In Chapter 21 (Hermione's Secret) Dumbledore tells Harry and Hermione that Sirius is locked in Professor Flitwick's office which is located on the seventh floor.
Poppy from Enoshima, Japan on November 20, 2018:
Great questions! I suppose people could answer them if they've read the book recently as most of this information isn't in the movie. I'm ashamed to say I got less than half of them right.