180 Printable Trivia Questions for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
180 Printable Trivia Questions for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
I’m a librarian who plans programs for children, and I’ve had a hard time finding Harry Potter trivia questions that are the level and format I need. So many are online-only, or they separate the questions and answers so much that they take a lot of time to hook back together. So, I scoured the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and came up with 180 questions—60 each for the categories of easy, medium, and difficult.
How to Use These Questions
There are two ways to use these questions. The first is to click the link to the PDF version and print them out on paper. You can then cut them into cards. If you print them onto card stock, you can shuffle the cards and give them to a moderator who will read the question out to teams.
Alternatively, if you print them out on regular paper, you can fold them a couple of times and put them into a big jar. When a participant comes up to the station, have them pull one of the folded pieces of paper and hand it to whoever is monitoring the station. That person can read the question and give the participant a small prize if they answer correctly. (You can also say that a person needs to get a certain number of answers right to get a prize.)
The second way to use the questions is just to select and copy any of the questions listed below into word processing software. Then, you can format them however you would like for the activity you are doing. Following are some samples of what the pages look like.
Link for Printable Trivia Questions PDF
Here is the link: Printable Harry Potter Trivia Questions. The first 10 pages are easy, the second 10 pages are medium, and the third 10 pages are difficult. If you only want to print certain pages, make note of the pages numbers you’d like and set your printer to print only those pages.
Trivia Questions to Copy
I’ve listed all the trivia questions below grouped into their category: easy, medium, or hard. You can select any of the text you like and copy into a word processing program. From there, you can format however you would like and print them out.
Easy Harry Potter Trivia
1. What is Dumbledore’s first name?
2. What is the last name of the family Harry Potter lives with at the beginning of the story?
3. When the story starts, where was Harry’s room at the Dursley’s located?
Under the stairs
4. When Harry visited the zoo on Dudley’s birthday, which animal did he end up talking to?
5. Which birthday does Harry begin in a shack on a rock in the middle of the water?
6. What does Hagrid give Harry for his eleventh birthday?
7. Who was the first person to tell Harry he was a wizard?
8. What is a Muggle?
A person who can’t do magic
9. What did Hagrid add to Dudley Dursley’s back end?
A pig’s tail
10. What is the name of the bank the wizards use?
11. What is the name of the wizarding newspaper?
The Daily Prophet
12. What is Hermione’s last name?
13. What was the name of Harry’s first Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?
14. What’s the name of the hidden place which has shops for robes, telescopes, and wands?
15. What is the name of Harry’s owl?
16. What is remarkable about the wand that chose Harry Potter?
It is the same materials as Voldemort’s
17. What is the name of the train station in which a person can board The Hogwarts Express?
King’s Cross Station
18. What is Ron’s last name?
19. Which house is Hermione in?
20. Which house is Draco Malfoy in?
21. Where does Harry Potter first meet Hermione?
On the train
22. Was Hagrid ever a student at Hogwarts?
Yes (but he got expelled)
23. What is the name of Filch’s cat?
24. What is the name of the Hogwarts Herbology teacher?
25. What is Neville’s last name?
26. Which professor is the head of Slytherin house?
27. What does a Remembrall do when you’ve forgotten something?
It glows red
28. Which wizarding skill can Harry do best when he first enters Hogwarts?
Flying on a broom
29. Who is Harry chasing when he first flies a broom?
30. What position does Harry Potter play on Gryffindor’s Quidditch team?
31. Which position on a Quidditch team tries to keep the opposing team from getting the Quaffle through the hoops?
32. Which position on a Quidditch team tries to get the Golden Snitch?
33. How many points are scored if a Seeker catches the Golden Snitch?
34. Which animals fly in the Great Hall on Halloween?
35. When Harry Potter first attends Hogwarts, who is the boys’ Prefect for Gryffindor?
36. When did Harry, Ron, and Hermione finally become friends?
After the battle with the troll
37. What color Quidditch robes does Gryffindor wear?
38. Whom did Ron and Hermione first believe was jinxing Harry’s broom at his first Quidditch match?
39. What is the 3-headed dog’s name?
40. What kind of cloak did Harry get as a present his first Christmas at Hogwarts?
41. Whom did Harry see in the Mirror of Erised?
42. What does the Elixir of Life do to a person who drinks it?
Makes them immortal
43. How did Harry and Hermione get a dragon to the tallest tower of Hogwarts without being seen?
They used the invisibility cloak
44. Which half-man, half-horse creature did Harry meet in the forest?
45. Something is wounded in the forest, spilling silvery blood. What is it?
46. What is the name of You-Know-Who?
Voldemort (also, Tom Riddle)
47. How do you calm down Fluffy, the three-headed dog?
Play it some music
48. Harry thought he saw birds on the way to the Sorcerer’s stone. What did they turn out to be instead?
49. Which character is the youngest seeker in a century?
50. Which game does Ron direct when he, Harry, and Hermione are on their way to the Sorcerer’s stone? Chess
51. Who was actually muttering a spell trying to knock Harry Potter off his broom in his first Quidditch match?
52. What is the name of Ron’s rat?
53. Who let the troll in to Hogwarts?
54. Where was Voldemort’s face the first time Harry Potter saw it?
On the back of Quirrell’s head
55. What happened to Quirrell’s hands when he tried to seize Harry Potter?
56. Who said, “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself”?
57. Which Hogwarts student had the Invisibility Cloak before Dumbledore gave it to Harry?
58. Which house won the House Cup at the end of the first book?
59. Who had the best grades of all the first year students?
60. Are Hogwarts students allowed to use magic during their summer breaks?
Medium Harry Potter Trivia
1. What is Hagrid’s first name?
2. What color are Harry Potter’s eyes?
3. What kind of snake did Harry talk to at the zoo?
4. When Mr. Dursley nailed up the mail slot, where did Harry’s letters come through?
5. What is the Dursely’s address?
Number four, Privet Drive
6. Who said to the Dursleys, “Ah, go boil yer heads, both of yeh”?
7. On which holiday did Voldemort kill Harry’s parents?
8. What kind of creatures run Gringotts bank?
9. What is Bellatrix’s last name?
10. What is the name of the Minister of Magic at the beginning of the story?
11. True or False: One of the first books Harry had to buy for Hogwarts was called One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
12. What’s the name of the famous pub in Diagon Alley?
The Leaky Cauldron
13. True or false: Harry had to buy test tubes as part of his school supplies.
14. What is Mrs. Dursley’s first name?
15. What’s the name of the shop in which Harry buys his wand?
16. What is at the center of Harry’s wand?
17. What color are Dumbledore’s eyes?
18. What is the name of the magical device that turns off streetlights?
19. What is the title of the first chapter in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone?
“The Boy Who Lived”
20. From which platform does a person board the train to Hogwarts?
Platform 9 ¾
21. What are the names of the two oldest Weasley brothers?
22. Complete the name of this candy: Bertie Bott’s __________
Every Flavour Beans
23. Name the four houses at Hogwarts.
Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin
24. What happened to Harry when he made eye contact with Professor Snape at Harry’s first Hogwarts banquet?
He felt a sharp, hot pain across his scar
25. What type of ghost is Peeves?
26. Who said, “I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death…”?
27. What is Newt’s last name?
28. What is the name of Hagrid’s black boarhound?
29. What memory device does Neville receive from his grandmother?
30. What is the name of the teacher who teaches students how to fly on a broomstick?
31. What is Wood’s first name?
32. What was the 3-headed dog standing on when Hermione & her friends first saw it?
A trap door
33. What kind of broomstick did Professor McGonagall deliver to Harry by owl?
A Nimbus Two Thousand
34. How many players on each side of a Quidditch team?
35. Which ball do the Chasers on a Quidditch team throw to each other?
36. What do the Bludgers do in a Quidditch game?
Try to knock the players off their brooms
37. What kind of creature does Professor Quirrell report seeing in the dungeon of Hogwarts on Halloween?
38. Whom did Harry and Ron accidentally lock in the bathroom with a troll?
39. With which part of his body did Harry catch his first Golden Snitch?
40. Where are Professor Snape’s classes held?
In the dungeons
41. What kinds of books are in the Restricted Section?
Books about dark magic (or, forbidden ones)
42. What is the name of the Hogwarts librarian?
43. What do Hermione’s parents do for a living?
They are dentists
44. Wizard chess is exactly like Muggle chess, except for what?
The chess pieces are alive
45. What garment did Mrs. Weasley give Harry his first Christmas at Hogwarts?
A sweater she knitted herself
46. What did Ron see in the Mirror of Erised?
Himself as Head Boy with the House Cup and the Quidditch Cup
47. What two things can the Sorcerer’s Stone do?
1) Turn any metal into gold 2) Produce the Elixir of Life
48. What kind of dragon did Hagrid hatch in his hut?
A Norwegian Ridgeback
49. What did Hagrid name his Norwegian Ridgeback dragon?
50. What did Harry do that made him go from most admired student to most hated?
Lost points for Gryffindor
51. How are Hermione, Harry, Draco & Neville punished after being caught out at night?
They had to search for a wounded unicorn in the forest.
52. What two things happen when a person drinks unicorn blood?
A person is kept from death but also cursed
53. After Harry saw the unicorn in the forest, he started having pains. Where were the pains?
54. How did Hagrid win a dragon’s egg?
He won it at cards/gambling
55. Which spell did Hermione use on Neville when they needed to get to the Sorcerer’s Stone?
The Full Body-Bind
56. How did Hermione stop the Devil’s Snare from suffocating Harry and Ron?
She conjured fire
57. Whom did Harry Potter first see when he stepped through the black flames?
58. Who said, “You’re too nosy to live, Potter”?
59. Which device does Quirrel use, trying to see where the Sorcerer’s Stone is hidden?
The Mirror of Erised
60. Who said, “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
Difficult Harry Potter Trivia
1. What happened to Harry’s hair the morning after Mrs. Dursley “cut his hair so short, it was almost bald”?
It grew back, the same as it was before
2. Harry talked to a snake at the zoo. When the snake escaped, where did it say it was going?
3. What did Dudley do to his first-ever television set?
Put his foot through it
4. What color was the ink on the first letters Harry received?
5. What is Professor Flitwick’s first name?
6. What kind of creature guards the high-security vaults at Gringotts?
7. Which book written by Bathilda Bagshot was a required text for first-year Hogwarts students?
A History of Magic
8. What kind of creature is Griphook?
9. Which metal are Galleons made from?
10. Where did Harry first meet Draco?
In the robe shop
11. What’s the name of the bookshop in Diagon Alley?
Flourish and Blotts
12. Why doesn’t Hagrid like cats?
They make him sneeze
13. What kind of wood is Harry’s wand made from?
14. Which four animals are on the Hogwarts crest?
Lion, snake, badger, eagle
15. Ron’s rat is a hand-me-down from which brother?
16. According to his trading card, Dumbledore is famous for defeating which Dark Wizard in 1945?
17. What is the name of Neville’s toad?
18. What was Nearly Headless Nick’s name when he was alive?
Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington
19. What is the name of Slytherin’s ghost?
The Bloody Baron
20. In the first book, what is the password to get into the Gryffindor commons room?
21 How many staircases are at Hogwarts?
22. What is Crabbe’s first name?
23. What is Filch’s first name?
24. What was the first thing Harry tried to change in Transfiguration class?
Matches (into needles)
25. Mr. Dursley is the director of a firm called Grunnings. What do they make?
26. True or false: In the books, Mrs. Dursley is thin and blonde.
27. Harry Potter became Seeker of the Gryffindor Quidditch team. How long had it been since a first-year had been given the Seeker role?
28. Harry and his friends discover a 3-headed dog. Why were they out so late that night?
Harry was going to have a duel with Draco
29. How many points does a Quidditch team get for each Quaffle that goes through a hoop?
30. What are the words for the spell to make something fly?
31. Who managed to make the troll’s club go airborne and whack himself on the head?
32. At the beginning of the story, where is Charlie Weasley?
33. Why did Harry have trouble playing Wizard’s Chess with borrowed pieces?
They didn’t trust him
34. What did Hagrid give Harry on his first Christmas at Hogwarts?
35. What did Dumbledore say he saw when he looked in the Mirror of Erised?
A pair of socks
36. Where did Harry first find information about Nicolas Flamel?
On the Dumbledore trading card
37. Where did Harry and Hermione send Norbert when he got too big to handle?
38. How many points for Gryffindor did Harry, Hermione, and Ron lose altogether when they sneaked out of bed to move a dragon?
39. In the forest, a hooded figure appears. What does it do with the dead unicorn?
Drinks its blood
40. What is the name of the centaur Harry Potter rides in the forest?
41. Students get new quills for exams. What spell are they bewitched with?
The Anti-Cheating spell
42. How did Harry get rid of Peeves on the night he went to get the Sorcerer’s Stone?
He pretended to be the Bloody Baron.
43. Why was Harry so good at finding the right winged key on his way to the Sorcerer’s stone?
He had the skills of a Seeker.
44. Which chess piece did Ron become as he, Harry and Hermione made their way to the Sorcerer’s stone?
45. How did Ron win the life-sized chess game?
He let himself (the knight) be taken
46. What was Professor Sprout’s charm to guard the Sorcerer’s Stone?
The Devil’s Snare
47. What was Professor Flitwick’s charm to guard the Sorcerer’s Stone?
The flying keys
48. What was Professor McGonagall’s charm to guard the Sorcerer’s Stone?
The live chessmen
49. What was Professor Snape’s charm to guard the Sorcerer’s Stone?
Seven potions to choose from
50. Which two colors of flames encompassed the potions room that guarded the Sorcerer’s
Purple and black
51. Who said, “A lot of the greatest wizards haven’t got an ounce of logic, they’d be stuck in here forever”?
52. Why could Harry get the Sorcerer’s Stone from the Mirror of Erised, but Voldemort could not?
Harry just wanted to find the Stone, not use it
53. According to Dumbledore, why did Snape hate Harry’s father so much?
Harry’s father saved Snape’s life
54. What gift did Hagrid give Harry at the end of the first book?
An album with photos of his parents
55. Who said, “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends”?
56. How many points did Ron win for Gryffindor by figuring out how to win at the live chess game?
57. Dumbledore chooses a candy that he thinks will be a nice toffee, but what flavor is it, really?
58. When Ron says, “I always said he was off his rocker,” who was he talking about?
59. What did Hagrid do with Mr. Dursley’s rifle?
Tied it in a knot
60. What is Neville’s best subject?
© 2019 Adele Jeunette