19 Harry Potter Trivia Questions From "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
Here are 19 questions to test your knowledge of names, places, and events that occur in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Be advised that these questions are specific to this book, ignore information that is presented in other Harry Potter novels, and contain spoilers.
1. What is Kingsley’s job while working for the Prime Minister?
A) Junior Minister
2. What position did Scrimgeour hold before becoming Minister of Magic?
A) Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement
B) Head of the Auror Office
C) Head of the Improper Use of Magic Office
D) Head of the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes
3. What does Slughorn disguise himself as when Harry and Dumbledore visit him?
4. What is Arthur Weasley’s dearest ambition?
A) To find out how airplanes stay up
B) To build a computer
C) To hunt down a deer
D) To find out how batteries work
5. Which one of these students does not receive an invitation to Slughorn’s party on the train to Hogwarts?
A) Marcus Belby
B) Blaise Zabini
C) Cormac McLaggen
D) Zacharias Smith
6. Where does Grawp live?
A) Forbidden Forest
7. What potion does Harry brew to win the bottle of Felix Felicis?
A) Draught of Peace
B) Draught of Living Death
D) Strengthening Solution
8. In what order does Dumbledore show Harry people’s memories regarding Voldemort?
A) Ogden, Burke, Hokey, Dumbledore (Headmaster)
B) Ogden, Burke, Dumbledore (Headmaster), Hokey
C) Burke, Ogden, Hokey, Dumbledore (Headmaster)
D) Burke, Ogden, Dumbledore (Headmaster), Hokey
9. Who is the captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team?
10. What is the name of the vampire at Slughorn’s Christmas party?
11. What does Kreacher give Harry for Christmas?
B) Picture of Harry
12. Which of the following is not one of the words associated with Wilkie Twycross’ three D’s?
13. Who does the Quidditch match commentary for Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff?
A) Zacharias Smith
B) Luna Lovegood
C) Lee Jordan
D) Colin Creevey
14. What is Professor Sprout’s first name?
15. Where does the duel between Harry and Draco take place in which Harry uses Sectumsempra?
A) Deserted corridor
B) The dungeons
D) Room of Requirement
16. What is Professor Trelawney trying to hide when she is thrown from the Room of Requirement?
A) Crystal balls
D) Sherry bottles
17. Above which tower does the Dark Mark hover?
A) West Tower
B) North Tower
C) Astronomy Tower
D) Gryffindor Tower
18. Which Death Eater conjures the Dark Mark?
19. How do the merpeople pay their respects to Dumbledore at his funeral?
A) Throw spears
B) Put on a waterworks display
1. B-Secretary. In Chapter 1 (The Other Minister), the Prime Minister learns that his secretary, Kingsley Shacklebolt, is a wizard.
2. B-Head of the Auror Office. In Chapter 3 (Will and Won’t), a newspaper article states that Scrimgeour had previously been Head of the Auror Office.
3. C-Armchair. In Chapter 4 (Horace Slughorn), Slughorn disguises himself as an armchair and is revealed after Dumbledore prods Slughorn with his wand.
4. A-To find out how airplanes stay up. In Chapter 5 (An Excess of Phlegm), Molly asks Arthur what his dearest ambition is in order to determine if he is indeed Arthur Weasley. He tells her that his dearest ambition is to find out how airplanes stay up.
5. D-Zacharias Smith. In Chapter 7 (The Slug Club), Zacharias Smith does not receive an invitation to Slughorn’s party. Ginny was invited to the party because Slughorn saw her hex Smith.
6. C-Cave. In Chapter 8 (Snape Victorious), Hagrid tells Harry and Ron that Grawp lives in a cave up in the mountains. Grawp only lived in the Forbidden Forest in the fifth book.
7. B-Draught of Living Death. In Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince), Harry brews the Draught of Living Death and is rewarded with Felix Felicis.
8. A-Ogden, Burke, Hokey, Dumbledore. Dumbledore shows Harry Ogdin’s memory in Chapter 10 (The House of Gaunt) and Burke’s memory in Chapter 13 (The Secret Riddle). Hokey’s and Dumbledore’s memories are shown to Harry in Chapter 20 (Lord Voldemort’s Request), in that order.
9. B-Urquhart. In Chapter 14 (Felix Felicis), Harry’s hand gets crushed by the new Slytherin Captain, Urquhart. Vaisey is a Chaser who is injured and unable to participate in the first match of the season. Harper is the Slytherin Seeker and Malfoy is no longer on the Quidditch team.
10. A-Sanguini. In Chapter 16 (The Unbreakable Vow), Harry meets Eldred Worple and his vampire friend Sanguini.
11. C-Maggots. In Chapter 16 (A Very Frosty Christmas), Kreacher gives Harry maggots for Christmas while Harry doesn’t give him any presents.
12. D-Dedication. In Chapter 18 (Birthday Surprises), Wilkie Twycross’ three D’s stand for destination, determination, and deliberation.
13. A-Luna Lovegood. In Chapter 19 (Elf Tales), Luna Lovegood commentates the match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Zacharias Smith commentates Gryffindor versus Slytherin, and Lee Jordan commentates in the previous books.
14. A-Pomona. In Chapter 22 (After the Burial), Professor Slughorn refers to Professor Sprout by her first name, Pomona.
15. C-Bathroom. In Chapter 24 (Sectumsempra), Harry and Draco’s fight takes place in a bathroom and is witnessed by Moaning Myrtle.
16. D-Sherry bottles. In Chapter 25 (The Seer Overheard), Harry finds Professor Trelawney struggling to hide her sherry bottles in the Room of Requirement.
17. C-Astronomy Tower. In Chapter 27 (The Lightning-Struck Tower), the Dark Mark appears directly above the Astronomy Tower.
18).D-Gibbon. In Chapter 29 (The Phoenix Lament), Lupin deduces that Gibbon set off the Mark. Gibbon was killed shortly after setting off the Mark.
19. C-Sing. In Chapter 30 (The White Tomb), Harry sees the merpeople singing just below the surface of the lake at Dumbledore’s funeral.