Morgan has read the Harry Potter series a countless number of times and loves creating tough trivia questions.
Harry Potter is one of the greatest fantasy series ever, and it all kicked off with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Whether you’ve read it once or 50 times, it seems there are always more bits to notice. But there might come a point when you’ll have read it so much that you think you know the answer to any question someone could ask you.
Here are 15 questions to test your Harry Potter knowledge on names, places, and events that occur in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that you’ll be asked something as easy as the spell to make objects fly; think more along the lines of the age of Nicolas Flamel’s wife.
1. Uncle Vernon works for Grunnings, which produces which type of product?
2. What did Marge eat to make her ill?
3. In which hotel did Harry and the Dursleys stay while attempting to prevent letters from reaching Harry?
A. Sunnyside Hotel
B. Cliff Shore Hotel
C. Railview Hotel
D. Pruneyard Hotel
4. On which day of the week was Harry’s 11th Birthday?
5. Which one of these people was not on the chocolate frog cards Harry opened on the train to Hogwarts?
6. Which of these lines appeared in the Sorting Hat’s song?
A. I’ll have a look inside your mind and tell where you belong.
B. Said Hufflepuff, “I’ll teach the lot and treat them just the same.”
C. For Hufflepuff, hard workers were most worthy of admission.
D. There’s nothing hidden in your head the Sorting Hat can’t see.
7. Who bought Neville his toad?
A. Uncle Alfred
B. Augusta Longbottom
C. Great Uncle Algie
D. Great Auntie Enid
8. Which of the following was not a password used to Gryffindor Tower?
A. Pig Snout
B. Caput Draconis
D. Neither A nor C were used as passwords
9. What year is Slytherin Captain, Marcus Flint?
A. 4th Year
B. 5th Yeath
C. 6th Year
D. 7th Year
10. Who was the Slytherin Seeker?
A. Terence Higgs
B. Adrian Pucey
C. Marcus Flint
11. What do Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia give Harry for Christmas?
A. A tissue
B. A toothpick
C. A coat hanger
D. A fifty-pence piece
12. According to a book Hermione checked out from the library, how old is Nicolas Flamel’s wife, Perenelle?
13. Which book on dragons did Hagrid have in his hut?
A. From Egg to Inferno, A Dragon Keeper’s Guide
B. Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland
C. Men Who Love Dragons Too Much
D. Dragon Breeding for Pleasure and Profit
14. Which of these is not a centaur that Harry encounters in the Forbidden Forest?
15. In what order were the teachers’ obstacles to get to the Sorcerer’s Stone?
A. Sprout, Flitwick, McGonagall, Snape, Quirrell
B. Sprout, Flitwick, McGonagall, Quirrell, Snape
C. Sprout, McGonagall, Flitwick, Snape, Quirrell
D. Sprout, McGonagall, Flitwick, Quirrell, Snape
- C—Drills. In Chapter One (The Boy Who Lived) Uncle Vernon is said to be the director of Grunnings, which makes drills.
- D—Whelk. In Chapter Three (The Letters From No One) Uncle Vernon summarizes Marge’s letter revealing that she became ill after eating a whelk.
- C—Railview Hotel. In Chapter Three (The Letters From No One) the owner of the hotel comes up to Harry and the Dursleys’ table with a letter that’s addressed to the Railview Hotel.
- B—Tuesday. In Chapter Three (The Letters From No One) Harry realizes that the next day is his birthday after Dudley claims that the current day is Monday.
- C—Alderton. In Chapter Six (The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters) Dumbledore, Morgana, Hengist, Alberic, Grunnion, Circe, Paracelsus, and Merlin are listed as the witch and wizard cards that Harry opens.
- D—There’s nothing hidden in your head the Sorting Hat can’t see. In Chapter Seven (The Sorting Hat) the Sorting Hat sings these lyrics, but you might have recognized the other lyrics from other songs the hat has sung.
- C—Great Uncle Algie. In Chapter Seven (The Sorting Hat) Neville tells the table how Great Uncle Algie bought him his toad after he was accepted into Hogwarts.
- C—Tapeworm. In Chapter Seven (The Sorting Hat) Percy uses Caput Draconis and in Chapter Nine (The Midnight Duel) Harry uses Pig Snout as passwords.
- C—6th year, In Chapter Eleven (Quidditch) Flint is labeled as a sixth year at the match between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Flint eventually has to remain at Hogwarts for an extra year which is why he also appears two years later in The Prisoner of Azkaban.
- A—Terence Higgs. In Chapter Eleven (Quidditch) Terence Higgs is named as the Slytherin Seeker with Bletchley being the Keeper while Flint and Pucey are both Chasers
- D—A fifty-pence piece. Chapter Twelve (The Mirror of Erised) describes Harry receiving this gift from his aunt and uncle. He receives a tissue and toothpick at future Christmases.
- B—658. In Chapter Thirteen (Nicolas Flamel) the library book says that Perenelle is six hundred and fifty-eight.
- D—Dragon Breeding for Pleasure and Profit. In Chapter Fourteen (Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback) Dragon Breeding for Pleasure and Profit was hidden under Hagrid’s pillow. Ron found Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland and From Egg to Inferno, A Dragon Keeper’s Guide in the library and Men Who Love Dragons Too Much doesn’t appear until the fourth book.
- A—Magorian. In Chapter Fifteen (The Forbidden Forest) Harry only encounters Ronan, Bane, and Firenze.
- B—Sprout, Flitwick, McGonagall, Quirrell, Snape. In Chapter Sixteen (Through the Trapdoor) Harry faces Sprout’s Devil’s Snare, Flitwick’s keys, McGonagall’s chess game, Quirrell’s collapsed troll and then Snape’s logic puzzle.