After initially being forced to play Laser Tag by corporate, iynestein learned to embrace and savor the thrill of this fun activity.
Laser Tag Is for Everyone
Laser Tag can be such a rush, and yet so many people—particularly adults who work 9 to 5 jobs like myself—initially resist it. Fear of the unknown has to be one of the reasons, and yet once you're in the dark, it can actually be quite a cool experience. So here's my guide for those of you considering playing Laser Tag (or those of you forced to play due to corporate pressure as I initially was).
Colors and Layers: What to Wear for Laser Tag
- Wear dark-colored clothes. Light colors will make you stand out and turn you into an easier target. (Hopefully, your dandruff won't show up as tiny little flakes in the UV lights!)
- Wear comfortable shoes. Ladies, that means no sandals and definitely no heels! Sneakers are your best bet, although boots will also work well, especially if they are dark colors.
- Dress in layers. This is important if you are like me and feel like you're in the Arctic when you walk past the frozen meats section at the grocery store. The laser tag arena can be cold initially, but it does get VERY hot as you start running (oops—did I say running; I meant walking) around. Those of you who naturally have good insulation can skip this step.
- Hydrate! You will sweat a lot, and the last thing you need is to fall over or feel ill in the middle of a game. Drink water before you go and bring a bottle of water with you if you have one.
- Please wear deodorant! This is the most important tip, especially for the guys. Did I mention you will sweat? Because you will.
Laser Tag Strategies: Defensive Techniques
- Learn the layout quickly. It helps to know the spots that offer a good vantage point but also give you some cover at the same time. Remember, though: Safe can be boring. So if you haven't really seen anyone after 30 seconds, MOVE!
- Upper levels are good for shooting down at unsuspecting questers. Again, this can get boring after a while, but I find it's a good way for me to catch my breath for a minute. Full disclosure: I do not exercise, so I am not the fittest person on Earth.
- Walk like a crab, i.e. sideways. It should give you the greatest protection. Don't forget to keep moving. Just standing in one place looking around is a sure way to get tagged by more experienced players.
- If you see someone taking aim and you cannot duck, try to turn sideways. They have less of a chance of hitting your sensors if you are not facing them full on.
Shoot to Win: Tips on Attacking
- This is mean—this is REALLY mean—but sometimes desperate situations call for desperate measures. If you think you suck and are out with your co-workers or, worse, your boss and co-workers, and you do not want to be publicly embarrassed by a low score, go after little kids. They are your salvation. Did I mention this is really mean?
- I've found that rapidly firing in the general direction of someone's sensors is better than taking the time to aim perfectly. I don't think it matters.
- Try to hold and shoot your laser gun like they shoot machine guns in the movies, turning sideways so your face is turned to your left or right shoulder and aiming in that direction. This makes you feel like you're in an action movie. It also makes you less of a target while giving you better aim. It's a win-win.
Finally: Have fun! Sure, you could win tons of points by just crouching in a corner or going after little kids, but the thrill you get from tagging a more worthy opponent (like the last game's high scorer) or an annoying coworker is far more satisfying. For when the one great Scorer comes for us all, young grasshopper, he writes not whether you won or lost, but how you played the game.
A Video Showing How Fun Laser Tag Can Be (These Are Obviously Newbies!)
Rachel :3 on March 13, 2020:
We failed some cause we were at a play date we didn’t bring shoes or plan to play laser tag so no black clothing and I sorta cheated searching this in a middle of a round with a friend :p
your mom on December 31, 2019:
dang i teamed up with my buds used these tips and we destroyed everyone!
Aze on December 22, 2019:
I DESTROYED MY FRIENDS THANKS TO THESE TIPSTERS.
trf on June 23, 2019:
Hannah on May 04, 2019:
im going to go and play laser tag for the first time with all this information in mind
Anne on April 14, 2019:
Thanks this really helped me with playing Lazer tag!
Tyler on February 24, 2019:
You did a good job i understand lazer tag better now
buddy on January 05, 2019:
I'm going to play laser tag for the first time and I need some serious help but hey I am good at sniping in video games does that help?
Super on July 12, 2018:
HOW DARE PEOPLE SAY THAT LASER TAG IS A KIDS GAME!!!!!!!
Newbie_At_This on April 18, 2018:
I'm trying laser tag for the first time today and hoping not to be recked by 13 teenagers when I get there! Plz wish me luck!
lulu on March 28, 2018:
I already play but I have a friend coming today. So I needed some skills.
I think your page is awesome
Tt on January 27, 2018:
Your the best now I can go laser tagging today without getting caught
person on January 20, 2018:
Thanks for tips they help a lot!
GT on June 05, 2017:
this is helping a lot though I work with some annoying freinds
Sofia on May 07, 2017:
Tgiss is so cool today I'm going to a lazer tag b-day party and I can't whait to try out some of what i learned. thx
Random Boy on December 12, 2016:
i was excited..WAS, until i saw how the newbies played like..UFF..AH! that really changed my mind. but great tips indeed!
lilly wingber on October 28, 2016:
it is something that every one should see I was the best scored thanx
I ligit killed them but everyelse also found it helpful so why not spread words around
Sammy Jordan on April 26, 2016:
I just came here to read the comments......
Nic on July 06, 2015:
Big boss on June 03, 2014:
Approve my previous comment I enjoy feed back
Big boss on June 03, 2014:
The side ways crap dosnt work it just makes you look stupid and it makes you a more noticeable target I'm on a 1st place streak of 24 break the damm rules! Run jump climb lay down sit kneel and take your time aiming(unless you can't aim for shit in the first place) hold the gun like you would a rifle use gloves that can help grip the gun and if the time calls for it make physical contact no one wants 15 ankle biters following them around if they get in your way plow through them also play with one partner who you can work with 100% that's how you win I tried your sideways crap it made me hit 3rd place with my way of it 1st place every time
Sophia on May 31, 2014:
Thanks! I am an absolute noob at playing lazer tag in fact I've never played it in my life I was goin against my friend madison it's her birthday party today and it's at a lazer tag arena
Maddi on February 23, 2014:
Thank you so much!! I went one other time before and was kinda good..I'm going today and I'm sooo gonna use these tips! Thanks a bunch!~
zord on January 26, 2014:
Stupid tips they never worked
daniel on January 08, 2014:
C_I_B on December 26, 2013:
remember to cover the speaker if it has one and if you can.
iuuhjf8 on November 30, 2013:
thanks a lot for this info. it helped me SOOOO much!
Max on November 29, 2013:
Kewl guide, gonna be going to a laser tag party today and I never thought of some of these tactics. Good luck to everyone who is going to try these out! and have fun :D
Slime on August 09, 2013:
Going to play for my second time.thanks for your tips very helpful!
hello kitty on January 15, 2012:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! ready for tomorrow :D
(plz give me luck) xD
bleh on January 08, 2012:
Us "little kids" do not appreciate tip #6. I understand why you would want to go for us, but if you want to learn serious skill, I would suggest going for people a tad higher than your skill level. Most of the people in my area only get to go once in a few years, besides the small arenas in Skateland and such places.
param chadha on December 26, 2011:
yeah its awsome.
zord on October 22, 2011:
So i will try that out, laser tag! the first time for me. Hope your guide brings me to victory!!!!
nigahiga on October 14, 2011:
thanks im gonna pwn noons tomorrow
Lizette on September 15, 2011:
Thanks for the tip... I just shared them with our friends at http://www.facebook.com/lazerxtremephils
angie on July 13, 2011:
those are cool tips
angela on July 06, 2011:
OMG these 12 tips are AWESOME!!! and yes tommorow i will aim for the little kids, PS: i was going to wear shorts-thanks for the info!
New timer on May 21, 2011:
This is really helpful I'm a girl and I hav to play against guys. Thank u spool much now the bad part is to aim at my teacher. Wish me luck!!!!!
Kensie on March 01, 2011:
This helps. Laser tag is so fun.
Also, my own advice: if the vests light up really bright when shot, look at the ceiling for these flashes, people, when just shot, are likely to go after who they thought last shot them.
If you're playing teams, and want to distract an opponent from another player, get reasonably near and start shooting in random directions.
Bill on December 04, 2010:
I will be pro and beat my friend easily thanks for the tips.
loolwut on December 04, 2010:
i SUCK at laserquest camping is boring though rather not camp ....waste of time
James on September 16, 2010:
Walk like a crab? like this?
dalton on July 26, 2010:
it is beast
random on June 09, 2010:
Girls w/ long hair you've got it made, wear your hair down and it'll cover your shoulder targets
ziggirlie on May 30, 2010:
I'm just reading up a bit before i go play lazer tag with my friends. I've always sucked i hope i do better. show them that girls CAN do everything guys can do. with these tips i think i might be able to. oh and if you shoot without hitting a target you lose points so dont do that. srry dude that's one your wrong about. but thanks for the help!
Splitty Booms from Arizona on May 15, 2010:
LOL I love laser tag and would go everyday if I could! Its great exercise (if you ignore the 'no-running rule' heh heh), good for big groups, and tons-o-fun. Your hub took me back to when I first started playing. I was the stand in one spot, snipe all game, chase little kids guy! I think I wanna play now...
gotamon99 on April 23, 2010:
Thx This Was Helpful Espically At My Lazer Tagg Place Two Storys And Great For Snipering People In The Maze On First Floor(In The Maze You Can "Capture" There Flag You Gotta Shoot The Target With here Color!)
Jennifer Jadeblade on April 23, 2010:
this is so anit helpful
Higa on December 09, 2009:
Yo man! you be crackin' "dogg" me go frankly go smoking afda disbut you 'otta rstay in shap man! you go niga da higa nxt tim aight? see ya man!
Andy on April 26, 2009:
THat waas sweet!! Really helpful, I flogged all my friends! =)
quagmire on April 07, 2009:
awsome tips GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!
Tyler on December 16, 2008:
THe Video is from a Lazertron Arena, am I correct?
Stevie G on April 26, 2008:
It helped me beat my friends
iynestein (author) from Florida on March 22, 2008:
John - SOOO glad that you found this helfpul :)
John Peterson on March 22, 2008:
This was SOOOOOO helpful! I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't read this before I played. Thank YOU!!!