45 Funny Telephone Game Phrases
“I heard it through the grapevine…” Oh, how phrases get twisted when traveling through the grapevine! So twisted, in fact, that the concept makes for a great game for kids and adults to play! Whether you’re looking for sleepover game ideas or icebreaker games, the Telephone Game might be just what you’re seeking!
How to Play the Telephone Game
First, set the game up. Since there are only people involved, everyone needs to be in the proper position. The best way to set everyone up for this game is to be in a straight line, spaced far enough apart so that others can’t hear what you’re whispering into the next player’s ear. Sometimes you’re working with too tight of a space to allow for a straight line, such as indoors in a bedroom, so then it becomes necessary to arrange everyone in a circle, spaced apart in the same manner as you would in a line.
Next, begin the game. The first player starts the game by whispering a single word or phrase into the ear of the next player. No repeating! If the next player didn’t quite hear it, well, that’s a part of the fun of the game! The next player then whispers what they think they heard to the following player, and so on. This continues until the word or phrase reaches the very last person.
Last, announce the word. The last player gets the most important part, announcing what word or phrase they heard! It’s fun to get to see just how much it changed from one person to the next! The first player then goes on to state what the actual word or phrase was. The last player then gets to jump to the first player position so and starts the game over. This can continue until each person has had a turn at choosing the initial word or phrase and a turn at being the one to announce it!
Telephone Game Phrases to Use
Coming up with single words is easy, so in order to have an even better game, you should have a few good Telephone Game phrases handy to start the game! You want to pick something a little challenging and easy to misinterpret because it makes the end result even more entertaining! Also, choosing a phrase that you think would be totally hilarious for people to be whispering down the line is a great choice no matter how easy or hard it is to interpret. Now onto the telephone game phrases—enjoy!
Funny Sentences to Use
- Don't move! There's a gigantic spider behind you!
- If I could go back in time, I would yell at Troy, "It's a trap!"
- A dog named Moose ran loose through the spruce forest chasing a goose.
- Jokers, jesters, and jugglers jingled, jumped, and jigged for the King of Jordan.
- Kaleidoscopes, Calliopes, and Christopher Columbus.
- My favorite thing to do on a rainy afternoon is watch Lord of the Rings and party like a hobbit.
- You're a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.
- Musical mice made the muffin mix while humming a melancholy melody.
- I still think Nicolas Cage would've made a great Superman.
- Minions would look really weird with contacts.
- Who's your friend who likes to play, Bing Bong, Bing Bong!
- Facebook is perfect for aunts who want to creep on nieces and nephews and tattletale on them for holding a beer.
- Have you ever noticed that it only ever seems to rain when you have to go somewhere?
- Don't tell me name brands and generics are the same until you've tried generic mac and cheese.
- The easiest way to make an adult man cry is to force him to watch Toy Story 3.
- The only thing I like better than reading a book is watching the movie and never reading the book.
- For Christmas this year, I'm asking Santa for an Amazon gift card.
- Education is important, but big muscles are importanter.
- A Taco Bell chicken quesadilla with extra creamy jalapeno sauce.
- If I were a dinosaur, I'd be an Ankylosaurus, a tough, armored exterior but with a leafy loving heart of gold!
- Ted’s toolbox fixes Fred’s friend’s Ford.
- I really need to break my habit of opening a million new tabs I'll never look at.
- People who know me would say that my best quality is my unwavering optimism or my sarcasm.
- My guilty pleasure is watching FailArmy.
- The entrance is guarded by a fire-breathing, near-sighted dragon with a fear of heights.
- I'm cursed with the terrible fate of relentlessly interrupting everyone around me.
- The only thing better than a tall, dark, and handsome man, is one carrying a pizza box.
- Chinese food is made with sugar and spice, and lots of rice.
- The best chips are chocolate ones.
- Not even an iceberg could sink our friendship!
- Sally sells sushi by the seashore.
- In high school, I was voted most likely to become a cat lady.
- I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really well.
- My sexy dance moves have been described as a blend of Beyonce and Mr. Bean.
- When I grow up, I want to be an excavator.
- I going to sleep like a two-year-old after eating pizza.
- When you're in an exam and can't stop coughing.
- Dumbo's real name is Jumbo Junior.
- You've been voted off the island.
- Nobody's favorite food is cabbage.
- I like Voltage better than Code Red, but not as much as Livewire.
- I only Riverdance when I'm happy.
- Unlucky Laura lost her lunch at the library last week.
- Koala bears are cute and pandas bears are cuddly.
- When I was six, I had a pet guinea pig that I named "Sir Piggysworth."
5 More Ways to Play
Sometimes the same old game can get boring. If you’re looking to put a fun spin on the game, give one of the following variations a shot!
- Movement: It's telephone game meets charades in this wacky version of the game. The first player shows the second player a silly movement or dance move, while everyone else looks in the opposite direction. The second player must then do the same movement to the next player, and so on. Check out the video at the end for a ridiculous demo of this variation!
- Drawing: In this variation, the first player chooses a word and uses pencil and paper to draw a single line to begin the illustration of the word. You cannot lift the pencil, and once you do, it’s time to pass it to the next player. The next player is quietly told the word and must continue the drawing, again with just one line. At the end of the round, the last player is not told the word and must guess the word by looking at the drawing!
- Teams: This is the best way to play with a large group and fun if you like competition! Even teams are made, and one single person whispers the same phrase to the first player on each team. Whichever team is closest to having the correct phrase at the end wins!
- Foreign language: Play a variation of the game that involves using language that is anything but your primary language. Whatever word or phrase will be dramatically changed at the end!
- Rumor has it: In this variation, instruct each person to change just one or two words out of the entire phrase and see just how much words get twisted, just like a rumor that gets spread!
The beauty of the game is sharing a bunch of laughs to see how much everything can change from the original source! It also goes to show you that you just can’t believe everything you hear because so much can get lost through that awful grapevine everyone talks about!