Trina Lynne has been writing, editing, and consulting writers for 8 years.
Have you ever found yourself stuck while writing? Happens to us all, right? Sometimes, all you need is a sentence to get your creative juices flowing again. Here are 99 sentences to get you thinking and get you writing.
99 Good Sentences to Get You Writing
1. The summer breeze brushed past my sundress as I walked down the lane.
2. The professor always made me feel awkward with his crazy inventions, and this time was no different.
3. Rosaline never knew what hit her.
4. By the time I reached the train station, she was gone.
5. There was a time when my family was extremely happy.
6. Every morning, I walked to the café for my latte and a glimpse of him.
7. There was a secret meeting tonight, and I had to be there.
8. David had asked me to meet him at the corner bakery.
9. The night sky was full of stars but no moon.
10. Lately, Marlene felt that there was something missing from her life.
11. Jessica and Caitlin had a secret that no person could ever find out.
12. The gaming convention was full of people, and there was a terrorist threat.
13. Lady Luck was always on my side at the casinos.
14. I had to stay with my aunts for a while because Mom had a new suitor.
15. The lights and sounds of the big city have always excited me.
16. Every time I heard the ice cream truck, it reminded me of home.
17. The melody of the music box soothed me.
18. The subway stopped suddenly inside the tunnel.
19. Shopping is what I call my number 1 hobby.
20. The internship was about to start, but I was far from excited.
21. The cemetery was rather quiet on my annual visit.
22. It has been weeks since I received communication from my brother in Iraq.
23. A hostage situation at a bank was not how I wanted to spend my morning.
24. Amy wasn't too adamant to go to her uncle's will reading.
25. Walking down the long corridor, John had no clue what his boss could want.
26. Tara was hesitant to open the hotel room door, scared of what she may find.
27. Every time I pulled, the ropes seemed to get tighter around my wrists.
28. The crash just happened, and no one saw it coming.
29. Shadows surrounded Clayton as he walked down the alley behind Alfonzo's Pizzeria.
30. Tyler had been out all night, and there was no sign of him arriving anytime soon.
31. Flowers came to my house every other Monday around 1 o'clock.
32. The nurse's station was buzzing as the bomb victims poured in.
33. She had been watching her neighbor's house for weeks with no evidence of the abuse.
34. Nathan had been the only man I had ever slept with.
35. The rain got harder as Tina walked alone in tears.
36. The memories flooded back as I looked through the photo album.
37. My clothes were completely ripped up, and I had to go onstage in twenty minutes.
38. April will forever be our favorite month.
39. Eleven blocks was a long way to run, but there was so much traffic, and time was running out.
40. It was all over the Internet before I got a chance to explain things.
41. Ann hadn't been out with the opposite sex in over 5 years, so she agreed to go on a blind date.
42. The caller said if I dropped the money off at 3 p.m., he would let my kids go.
43. The heat of his breath lingered on my neck.
44. Angel and her friends waited backstage for a chance to meet a famous rapper.
45. My fear would be hard to conquer, but I had to do it if I wanted peace.
46. The dreams were recurring—and frightening, to say the least.
47. The house shook as if some powerful wind had gone by.
48. Elana had been waiting for this audition to show that she had what it took to be a dancer.
49. Stephanie dragged her luggage up the stairs of the Bed & Breakfast while Terrence talked business on his cell phone.
50. The photographer yelled for me to get on the set of my first photo shoot.
51. Every time the clock struck 11, the house got dark for five minutes.
52. No matter who I was with, I just couldn't stop cheating.
53. Our 10-year class reunion was right around the corner.
54. When Allan arrived home, there were 42 messages on his answering machine.
55. A road trip is exactly what the girls and I need.
56. At 3 in the morning, we were still on the phone.
57. All the nuns at the orphanage were ruthless, except for Sister Francis.
58. It was my first pitch in the majors, and I was ecstatic.
59. The music slowed, and we were left on the dance floor.
60. Every time I turned around, there was someone trying to stop my progress.
61. Life has just seemed to pass me by, but I really want to make a mark.
62. Having desires was always Trent's downfall.
63. One of the biggest secrets of my life was on the 10 o'clock news.
64. No sooner did our romantic evening start than an urgent call came through.
65. There was no real explanation for Anthony's newfound "talent."
66. Lights filled the sky atop the houses.
67. Samantha left a note for Justin each morning, but he would never tell anyone what they said.
68. Twenty-two hours of labor and the baby still hadn't come.
69. Emily missed her best friend dearly, but she knew they couldn't see each other.
70. Could it be possible that she loved him more than her own husband?
71. Each time Nora picked up her phone, she placed it right back down on the cradle.
72. David couldn't think of anything but his missing little sister.
73. I never believed in having a therapist for life's problems.
74. Working in a novelty store had to be the coolest and most interesting job ever.
75. My mother could never be happy for me.
76. The surgery was already scheduled, and all I had to do was show up.
77. Vladimir hated showing his emotions for fear of backlash from his father.
78. The roller coaster stopped upside down with dozens of passengers on board.
79. A quiet evening on the beach would set the mood perfectly to break the news.
80. Whenever Heather wanted to be alone, she traveled to the observatory.
81. For months, Vivian cried herself to sleep.
82. Behind closed doors, Aaron wasn't the hard-ass everyone thought he was.
83. There was an eerie smile on Cathy's face as she relinquished all her assets to her soon-to-be ex in court.
84. Nerds were not the only game testers at Finger Works Inc.
85. I was amazed to see that my grandma had planted so many flowers.
86. We were supposed to meet on the Brooklyn Bridge at 11 p.m.
87. Discouraged and tired, they ended the search for Patricia.
88. Onlookers watched in horror as the plane exploded as soon as it hit the runway.
89. The pills seemed to call her as she stared at the medicine bottle on the nightstand.
90. France was a beautiful place this time of year.
91. We shared our first kiss under the cherry blossom tree.
92. This corruption case is the biggest one the city has ever seen.
93. Donna promised revenge on everyone that was in the conference room this morning.
94. Bouquets of flowers filled my living and dining rooms, but how did they get in here?
95. Ginger spent each Thursday evening taking salsa lessons.
96. Owen spent months planning the perfect vacation, and now this happened.
97. Mustafa was forced to live in exile.
98. Lance looked everywhere for the files, but they were nowhere to be found.
99. Each morning, I wake up with him on my mind and pain in my heart.
How Do You Handle Writer's Block?
Questions & Answers
Question: Do you have any sentence starters about a room?
Answer: The room was silent even though there were dozens of people inside.
Question: How do I write a book?
Answer: You start at the beginning and write until you're finished. You can use the sentences in this article to get started.
Yeet on June 29, 2020:
Aligwe Joseph on April 16, 2020:
Wing Li on March 16, 2020:
thx so much!!
Demi on January 26, 2020:
Helped a lot thx xx
Etasha on December 30, 2019:
I need some. Starters sentence
Butterfly Angel on December 06, 2019:
What are some morning passage sentence starters?
:( on October 24, 2019:
give more information :(:(
Logan Crawford on October 23, 2019:
This website is great for school projects and other needs
T on October 05, 2019:
I'm looking to write a fantasy story but I am stuck on it. I find that following the structure of other books helps me as well as generators and things like that me this
sex tape on September 23, 2019:
trina thx so much
ME on September 11, 2019:
If any of you know the Wings of Fire series, I am looking to to write a series like that. I already have the world planned out, but i'm stuck on the first part!
Layla on June 06, 2019:
i love all
allie on April 16, 2019:
love it becuase I am a parent and a teacher
Christopher on April 13, 2019:
Eibhear Pepito Eret on January 16, 2019:
Um I am slow at the english language i think this deserve good view
james scott on November 28, 2018:
it some good opening
lomond on November 27, 2018:
yer maw sells avon, think that should be added xx
Simba on November 22, 2018:
Not bad, I'm looking for more of romance, but not the cheesy ones like Twilight.
Krisha on October 27, 2018:
The 5th one was extremely good
And I am so happy
Eddy on October 23, 2018:
Thanks a lot it helped me a lot
Allan on October 11, 2018:
Wow... really healped. Thank you!
Bangtan Sonyeondan on September 21, 2018:
This was so helpful, thank you. I'm a starting writer-only 12-and this is by far the most beneficial site I have discovered thus far. After all, the hook of a story is one of the most important parts of a book, in my humble opinion. Thanks again.
mr scuppie on September 17, 2018:
my mind flooded with thoughts and it felt as if they replaced the little hope i had left in finding you.
Dean Winchester on September 04, 2018:
Thanks so much, unlike what millie was saying this was very helpful.
Vernon on September 02, 2018:
This was great, thanks so much. A few more here if you'd like, free to use.
1. The weather was beautiful when Alyssa's life changed, forever.
2. The only sound Dean could hear was the sound of his own heartbeat pounding in his ears.
3. As Joshua ran in search for his best friend, a part of him knew finding Jason was a hopeless case.
4. They blamed it on the alcohol, but both of them knew it wasn't true.
5. Maddi was more than used to faking a smile.
millie on August 25, 2018:
not there heplful
Emily on August 21, 2018:
Tierra on August 21, 2018:
I looked at some of these I'm 12 I'm starting to write my own
Andrew on August 13, 2018:
This is very helpful thank you!
I didn't know what to write about or what to start the sentence of and I was flustered! but thanks to the 1st starter sentence I can finally finish my deadline. :)
KEERTHY on August 08, 2018:
bob on July 28, 2018:
I had fun
Gorge on May 08, 2018:
I woke up
Arissa Sur on April 27, 2018:
The summer breeze brushed past my sundress as I walked down the lane.
Steph0 on April 26, 2018:
She had a sickly sweet perfume on and her makeup covered her every blemish.The she-the girl I hate- started crying
Steph on April 10, 2018:
I ran.I looked behind me.She was still following me.
lilly on March 13, 2018:
i wanted to star a scary story
Vidhi on March 06, 2018:
I don't find something good
Xxx on February 24, 2018:
Didn't find this useful...
Just Curious!! on February 22, 2018:
How do you start a summer vacation story.
BTS ARMY on February 12, 2018:
"____, you may now state your case.."
"Something caught the corner of her eye, and she swung her head over to the direction to find him...drenched from the heavily pouring rain."
Katie on January 19, 2018:
I don't think this was very helpful for when trying to start stories in the first paragraph.
Abby on January 18, 2018:
How would you start a summer story ?
Lucky on December 26, 2017:
1.Due to heavy rain semester exams are postpone to next week
2.I want to become a doctor
3.Tajmahal is a famous tourist place in agra
4.Rita is an intelligent girl
5.sheela bought the mangos
6.sheela sing melodiously
7.sara writes diary
8.Revathi was very arrogant
9.she is a doctor
10.way of talking identifies a man
11.she was confused whether ghost is real or not
12.My dad is a nature lover
13. I wanna gain my weight
14. Children likes to play in the park
15.I used to watch movie often
16.It was a beautiful morning
Can u form a story with the sentence given above
Katie Matson on December 05, 2017:
I need a good starter for steak and kidney pie but this does not have one of them. I need help please.
Bella on December 04, 2017:
Very good for writing my detailed description for home work
Mystery on November 25, 2017:
It Is cool
Asha McNeair on November 11, 2017:
There is a lot of good story starters you should try them :)
Panda on October 31, 2017:
these her helpful as I could put my on tist on each sentence
giixing on October 21, 2017:
is there story sentences about kung fu?
Veronica Lodge on October 18, 2017:
This is perfect to make daddy proud! He will finally think I'm worthy enough to work for him!
James Bond on September 29, 2017:
Excellent! This is perfect reference material for my story I am currently working on. Thank you for posting this. :)
angelina on August 25, 2017:
this list was very helpful for me because I want to be an author someday,hopefully i'll get there
Alexa on June 14, 2017:
Thank you so much for posting this! I am writing a story for my 6th Grade L.A. Class and I have often looked back to this through out the course of the year! This has helped me a lot!!!
Jenny Bee on April 08, 2017:
Thank you for this lovely list! I picked out three sentences that spoke to me and my style of writing (apocalyptic narrative). I look forward to watching the stories unfold!
Ruby on February 23, 2017:
Kate on November 16, 2016:
I got one: I finally got the letter but just as I walked into my home... Good?
IcePop on August 22, 2016:
Ohhhh! That's a good one! I actually had a dream about a resort! That is so weird!
QuicksilverRules on August 20, 2016:
Like da prompts. Sometimes if I have a dream and recall parts of it I will use that in a story. For example, if you dream you're at a resort, perhaps base your story around a resort.
#YoungAvengers on August 19, 2016:
I like these prompts! What would be good names for a teenaged female protagonist? I always seem to use Alicia or Artemis.
Makia on August 05, 2016:
Thank you so much! :) I plan on using #43 in my novel. Maybe changed up a little bit to fit my plot, though.
Nurusha on August 04, 2016:
Amazing helped a lot thank you
John on July 26, 2016:
these are sooooo helpful shot mate
JRay on March 15, 2016:
Yeah they are.
HANA on February 17, 2016:
these are graet
Kamaraju Pulugurtha from Khammam, India. on December 19, 2015:
At a glance, the sentences are fit material for the practice of the students of ESL, though I have a strong feeling that any generalization is not possible, showing them as starters. Writing is an issue of Creativity and we can't all be similar. We however can accept guidelines from Seniors in the Profession.
Trina Lynne (author) from Philadelphia, Pa on October 30, 2015:
What are the odds Cherry......lol.
Cherry on June 20, 2015:
Oh my God. 97 is everything! I have a friend named Mustafa who immigrated to Germany and is now living all by himself! Haha, what are the odds!
Hmb on May 13, 2015:
Not helpful at all for my topic
LolTron on April 19, 2015:
anonymous on February 15, 2014:
really good help I used 85
anonymous on January 15, 2014:
Where it says: me and the girls needed, it annoys the hell out of me when things are grammatically incorrect.
It should say, "The girls and I needed."
bhaSAWSAFW on February 10, 2011:
Elena from London, UK on May 19, 2010:
Excellent - I enjoyed it. I teach English as a Second language and will definitely refer to this again. Very useful. :)
Trina Lynne (author) from Philadelphia, Pa on May 12, 2010:
You are quite welcome. Thanks for reading.
Peace & Blessings
thevoice from carthage ill on May 11, 2010:
terrific great different hub work thanks