99 Starter Sentences for Writing Stories
Have you ever found yourself stuck while writing? Happens to us all, right? Sometimes, all you need is a sentence to get your creative juices flowing again. Here are 99 sentences to get you thinking and get you writing.
99 Good Sentences to Get You Writing
1. The summer breeze brushed past my sundress as I walked down the lane.
2. The professor always made me feel awkward with his crazy inventions, and this time was no different.
3. Rosaline never knew what hit her.
4. By the time I reached the train station, she was gone.
5. There was a time when my family was extremely happy.
6. Every morning, I walked to the café for my latte and a glimpse of him.
7. There was a secret meeting tonight, and I had to be there.
8. David had asked me to meet him at the corner bakery.
9. The night sky was full of stars but no moon.
10. Lately, Marlene felt that there was something missing from her life.
11. Jessica and Caitlin had a secret that no person could ever find out.
12. The gaming convention was full of people, and there was a terrorist threat.
13. Lady Luck was always on my side at the casinos.
14. I had to stay with my aunts for a while because Mom had a new suitor.
15. The lights and sounds of the big city have always excited me.
16. Every time I heard the ice cream truck, it reminded me of home.
17. The melody of the music box soothed me.
18. The subway stopped suddenly inside the tunnel.
19. Shopping is what I call my number 1 hobby.
20. The internship was about to start, but I was far from excited.
21. The cemetery was rather quiet on my annual visit.
22. It has been weeks since I received communication from my brother in Iraq.
23. A hostage situation at a bank was not how I wanted to spend my morning.
24. Amy wasn't too adamant to go to her uncle's will reading.
25. Walking down the long corridor, John had no clue what his boss could want.
26. Tara was hesitant to open the hotel room door, scared of what she may find.
27. Every time I pulled, the ropes seemed to get tighter around my wrists.
28. The crash just happened, and no one saw it coming.
29. Shadows surrounded Clayton as he walked down the alley behind Alfonzo's Pizzeria.
30. Tyler had been out all night, and there was no sign of him arriving anytime soon.
31. Flowers came to my house every other Monday around 1 o'clock.
32. The nurse's station was buzzing as the bomb victims poured in.
33. She had been watching her neighbor's house for weeks with no evidence of the abuse.
34. Nathan had been the only man I had ever slept with.
35. The rain got harder as Tina walked alone in tears.
36. The memories flooded back as I looked through the photo album.
37. My clothes were completely ripped up, and I had to go onstage in twenty minutes.
38. April will forever be our favorite month.
39. Eleven blocks was a long way to run, but there was so much traffic, and time was running out.
40. It was all over the Internet before I got a chance to explain things.
41. Ann hadn't been out with the opposite sex in over 5 years, so she agreed to go on a blind date.
42. The caller said if I dropped the money off at 3 p.m., he would let my kids go.
43. The heat of his breath lingered on my neck.
44. Angel and her friends waited backstage for a chance to meet a famous rapper.
45. My fear would be hard to conquer, but I had to do it if I wanted peace.
46. The dreams were recurring—and frightening, to say the least.
47. The house shook as if some powerful wind had gone by.
48. Elana had been waiting for this audition to show that she had what it took to be a dancer.
49. Stephanie dragged her luggage up the stairs of the Bed & Breakfast while Terrence talked business on his cell phone.
50. The photographer yelled for me to get on the set of my first photo shoot.
51. Every time the clock struck 11, the house got dark for five minutes.
52. No matter who I was with, I just couldn't stop cheating.
53. Our 10-year class reunion was right around the corner.
54. When Allan arrived home, there were 42 messages on his answering machine.
55. A road trip is exactly what the girls and I need.
56. At 3 in the morning, we were still on the phone.
57. All the nuns at the orphanage were ruthless, except for Sister Francis.
58. It was my first pitch in the majors, and I was ecstatic.
59. The music slowed, and we were left on the dance floor.
60. Every time I turned around, there was someone trying to stop my progress.
61. Life has just seemed to pass me by, but I really want to make a mark.
62. Having desires was always Trent's downfall.
63. One of the biggest secrets of my life was on the 10 o'clock news.
64. No sooner did our romantic evening start than an urgent call came through.
65. There was no real explanation for Anthony's newfound "talent."
66. Lights filled the sky atop the houses.
67. Samantha left a note for Justin each morning, but he would never tell anyone what they said.
68. Twenty-two hours of labor and the baby still hadn't come.
69. Emily missed her best friend dearly, but she knew they couldn't see each other.
70. Could it be possible that she loved him more than her own husband?
71. Each time Nora picked up her phone, she placed it right back down on the cradle.
72. David couldn't think of anything but his missing little sister.
73. I never believed in having a therapist for life's problems.
74. Working in a novelty store had to be the coolest and most interesting job ever.
75. My mother could never be happy for me.
76. The surgery was already scheduled, and all I had to do was show up.
77. Vladimir hated showing his emotions for fear of backlash from his father.
78. The roller coaster stopped upside down with dozens of passengers on board.
79. A quiet evening on the beach would set the mood perfectly to break the news.
80. Whenever Heather wanted to be alone, she traveled to the observatory.
81. For months, Vivian cried herself to sleep.
82. Behind closed doors, Aaron wasn't the hard-ass everyone thought he was.
83. There was an eerie smile on Cathy's face as she relinquished all her assets to her soon-to-be ex in court.
84. Nerds were not the only game testers at Finger Works Inc.
85. I was amazed to see that my grandma had planted so many flowers.
86. We were supposed to meet on the Brooklyn Bridge at 11 p.m.
87. Discouraged and tired, they ended the search for Patricia.
88. Onlookers watched in horror as the plane exploded as soon as it hit the runway.
89. The pills seemed to call her as she stared at the medicine bottle on the nightstand.
90. France was a beautiful place this time of year.
91. We shared our first kiss under the cherry blossom tree.
92. This corruption case is the biggest one the city has ever seen.
93. Donna promised revenge on everyone that was in the conference room this morning.
94. Bouquets of flowers filled my living and dining rooms, but how did they get in here?
95. Ginger spent each Thursday evening taking salsa lessons.
96. Owen spent months planning the perfect vacation, and now this happened.
97. Mustafa was forced to live in exile.
98. Lance looked everywhere for the files, but they were nowhere to be found.
99. Each morning, I wake up with him on my mind and pain in my heart.